Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

Do you let your kids hit you?

(75 Posts)
purpleduck Sun 02-Nov-08 14:52:23

OK, I am just genuinely curious...
I see lots of kids hitting their parents, and the parents just either take it, or move out of the way, but very often say nothing.

So, if your kids hit, do you just figure they have to let out their frustration, or they are too small to hurt so its ok, or just a phase...?

Just wondering

KerryMum Sun 02-Nov-08 14:55:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

scorpio1 Sun 02-Nov-08 14:55:50

No, not at all.

SmugColditz Sun 02-Nov-08 14:56:04

Once they hit 12 months old, absolutely not.

juuule Sun 02-Nov-08 14:56:11

No.

Mutt Sun 02-Nov-08 14:57:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RedSparklersOnHerHead Sun 02-Nov-08 14:58:04

No, hitting is a naughty step offence and a stern telling off. DS doesn't hurt ATM but as he gets bigger he will and then it is unfair to suddenly slap a rule on him that was never there to begin with.

Also, he may not be hurting me as he does it, but if he did it to other childrem he might hurt them. Children should be taught that hitting is wrong. There are other ways to let out their frustration.

We have a rule that if you hit then nobody listens to you. We will listen when you use a calm talking voice.

RedSparklersOnHerHead Sun 02-Nov-08 14:59:27

DS2 flails his arms about, but at 6mths he has no intent to hit. Once they get intent then they need to be told no.

castille Sun 02-Nov-08 15:01:54

No, absolutely not.

I am always a bit shocked when I see parents not react to being hit and kicked by a tantrumming child.

MilaMae Sun 02-Nov-08 16:04:35

Absolutely not,never, I have zero tolerance towards anybody hitting adult or child.

Instant time out from day one, as a result my dc never hit each other or anybody else. Whining,winging and silly bickering they do but hitting no.

giraffescantdancethetango Sun 02-Nov-08 16:05:55

no

needmorecoffee Sun 02-Nov-08 16:06:33

no way.

southeastalien Sun 02-Nov-08 16:06:41

wouldn't say i let him but ds(7) was a handfull and would wallop us quite a bit.

of course we told him off, wasn't easy to get him to stop though.

misdee Sun 02-Nov-08 16:07:10

no shock

even a little baby, i would gently take their hands away and say 'no hitting'

MrsMattie Sun 02-Nov-08 16:08:54

My 3 yr old hits me sometimes. It's a big no-no for me. I take hold of both of his hands and say very firmly 'NO HITTING. WE DO NOT HIT EACH OTHER'. usually that's enough to nip it in the bud. If it escalates into a tantrum (occasionally when he is very upset / tired, he will start trying to hit and kick me again) he goes to his room to calm down. It's probably the only time I ever use anything remotely like 'time out'.

AbbeyA Sun 02-Nov-08 16:18:05

Absolutely not. If you let them get away with it they grow up thinking it is acceptable. They have to find alternative methods to get rid of their anger, however young they are. I agree with Mrs Mattie-same method.

Buda Sun 02-Nov-08 16:20:10

No.

DS is 7 and he kicked me yesterday. Came home from football and I was pretending not to let him him and we were joking around and then I opened the door and he just kicked me. I think it was a jokey thing and not meant maliciously - he wasn't angry. He got severely told off and sent to sit at the top of the stairs - I told him I was so angry he may end up there for 3 hours. Also told him that I would ban football if that was what it taught him.

I was furious.

Left him there for a while. DH went upstairs and said he was lying on the carpet with his pillow and crying. Left him a while longer and then went up and had a serious chat. Told him to have a think about it and come and apologise. He did.

Not sure whether I handled it right tbh. DH reckoned I was too harsh. I tend to shout.

So - no I don't let him but not sure I dealt with it right.

cat64 Sun 02-Nov-08 16:29:50

Message withdrawn

AbbeyA Sun 02-Nov-08 16:35:21

I never hit anyone and have never been hit by anyone. Whatever the difficulties hitting is unacceptable and has to be enforced every time. It might take longer with some DCs than others.

cornsilkpyrotechnicqueen Sun 02-Nov-08 16:43:06

cat64 I totally agree. For chn with SN it can be a totally different ball park.

Cheesesarnie Sun 02-Nov-08 16:46:20

did you know the people you saw hiting?do you know if theres any sn?

my ds1 went through this not long ago aged 7.turns out he was being bullied.he hit me hard.we didnt put up with it but we also didnt just dismiss it-there was a reason behind it.

cornsilkpyrotechnicqueen Sun 02-Nov-08 16:48:38

That's interesting cheeses - my ds went through a 'hitting' phase when he was in an unhealthy friendship with a boy who would hit him at every occasion. We made sure the friendship fizzled out - so did the hitting.

TheProvincialLady Sun 02-Nov-08 17:04:59

My DS is just 2. A couple of months ago he went through a hitting me phase - I responded by saying No, no hitting etc - being firm and consistent, all of that. He just got worse. He started parroting back what I was saying to him and even saying it as he was hitting me.

So I completely ignored him every time he did it and he stopped within two days. He has never hit me again.

So what I am saying is that I will not tolerate hitting but my approach might not look like I am doing anything to an outside observer.

motherinferior Sun 02-Nov-08 17:06:02

No.

kitbit Sun 02-Nov-08 17:06:33

No. However if ds is really upset about something and entering meltdown phase and is lashing out I would let it go in order to concentrate on diverting the meltdown as it isn't really about the hitting at that point and to address each little part of the whirlwind would be pointless. However once calm I will always talk to him about it afterwards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now