Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Do you know what activities there are for your kids in your local area?

(3 Posts)
DCSF Fri 31-Oct-08 09:21:18

I'm working with DCSF to help promote their recent study among teens on what they like to do in their spare time. Surprisingly, the study shows that 7 in 10 teens want their communities to help them get involved in more activities.

As a result, DCSF created a site that lets you insert your post code / area that then takes you to sites that show what there is for your kids to do in your town. http://local.direct.gov.uk/LDGRedirect/index.jsp?LGSL=643&LGIL=8&ServiceName=Find+out+about+activiti es+for+young+people&CRE=SpeedTrap

And be sure to check out the results at http://blogit.webitpr.com/?ReleaseID=10361. You may not have guessed what kids want to do in their spare time!

squeakypop Fri 31-Oct-08 09:24:23

It just links to our council website, which only lists council run things

DCSF Fri 31-Oct-08 09:34:28

I also have a list of regional activities that might help as well. For example, if you live in North London, Camden offers:

'Get online' days during half term at Camden Town, Kilburn, Regent’s Park and libraries – free for anyone with limited or no Internet experience to get online and discover how the web can make a difference to everyday life.
The Big Draw at the British Postal Museum and Archive - Get involved with the nationwide Big Draw campaign and discover the power of drawing at this artist-led group.
Make your voice heard – a drama workshop at Hampstead Theatre which will celebrate 50 years in 2009 and is bringing together a wide range of groups over a year leading to performance of a large-scale community play next July.
A week-long programme of varied activities run by the Prince’s Trust including:
T-shirt design and printing
An adventure centre visit
Juice making
Go-karting
Youth forum
Advice sessions on developing personal skills and how to access educational and employment opportunities

If you want to tell me where your area is then I might be able to give you a similar list. I hope this helps!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: