Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

What tog duvet on a toddlers bed?

(10 Posts)
LilRedWGoreandguts Fri 31-Oct-08 08:17:58

I think maximum 4.5 but MIL says that a full winter one would be better.

Who is right?

RubyShivers Fri 31-Oct-08 08:19:31

we have got DS a 4.5 tog duvet and it seems fine

he is nice and toasty

what tog would a full winter duvet be?

nic06 Fri 31-Oct-08 08:22:24

My DD is 3.5yrs and we have just swapped to a 10.5 anti allergy (ezcema etc) for her. Al ways prev had a 4.5 but this house is freezing - she loves it!

LilRedWGoreandguts Fri 31-Oct-08 08:26:52

Am guessing that MIL means 12tog+. For some reason I always thought that little ones shouldn't have heavy duvets, but I'm not sure where I got this info from. hmm

I don't mind admitting MIL is right (now, there's a phrase you don't hear on MN very often), but want to be sure either way first.

lulumama Fri 31-Oct-08 08:54:18

DD has a 4 tog duvet and is very often too hot... in a centrally heated double glazed room a 12 tog duvet would be like a sauna!

if she is warm enough, then who cares what toggage? grin

mind you, i like the window open, even in the depths of winter, so might not be the best one to comment

LilRedWGoreandguts Fri 31-Oct-08 09:01:24

I'm like you Lulu - the window is open no matter what the weather.

The discussion only came into being as DD is staying at ILs tomorrow night and DH said we'd take her quilt. MIL said, no we have a quilt.... etc. etc. I need proof as I was ADAMANT last night.

purpleflower Fri 31-Oct-08 09:07:51

DS has a 13.5 but this house is freezing. Only the back is double glazed and his room is in the front. He also wears fleecy PJs and his hands are still like ice every morning.

Fizzylemonade Fri 31-Oct-08 11:18:12

The only thing I can find on this is this

here

says 9 tog not recommended for children under 1.

My ds2 is 2 1/2 and we have put a 10.5 tog on his bed. No heating on at night so can get cold in the house. He seems fine with it.

LilRedWGoreandguts Fri 31-Oct-08 11:24:35

Thanks guys. Would appear that the MIL is right.

Highlander Fri 31-Oct-08 11:32:31

DS1 has a vest, fleece sleepsuit - 6 tog with fleece blankie oin top. Comes into our bed in middle of night and we are 10 tog. DS1 had a 6 tog duvet from birth as he was always baltic.

DS2 (from 2 years) has a 10 tog.

bedrooms are double glazed but heating off.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: