Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

What should a 2 year old sleep in?

(5 Posts)
mumpip Thu 30-Oct-08 14:02:00

Put DS (aged 2) into cot for a nap, he didn't want to go and managed to climb out. Luckily I was still there so caught him on him descent. Think it's time to move out of the cot. Can he go straight ito a normal single bed - if so how do I stop him falling out? Should I get him a 'childs bed' (I think these are just lower and maybe shorter but not v knowledgeable about it)?
Any advice will be much appreciated.

Cheesesarnie Thu 30-Oct-08 14:04:24

either get a bed guard or put a matress on the floor.

BoysAreLikeZombies Thu 30-Oct-08 14:05:28

Mine went into a normal single bed.

Friends say that the smaller 'child's bed' are a pita because an adult cannot get in - on occasion you might want to cuddle/read/comfort your child in their bed.

Just a thought.

Oh, and put the cot mattress on the floor next to the head - to break the fall - he will fall out once or twice in the first week.

popperdoodles Thu 30-Oct-08 14:09:00

Whether you go straight to a single or buy a toddler bed is totaly down to you preference. If you have a standard cot i.e not a cot bed you can take the sides off it make sense to go straight to a single bed but it's up to you. A bed guard will stop ds falling out. They are widely available. He will still be able to climb in and out by himself just stops them from accidently rolling out in their sleep. Toddler beds are smaller and lower to the ground and in my experince only last until they are about 4 so probably not going to get your money worth out of it unless have other dcs who will use it.

gingerninja Thu 30-Oct-08 14:10:55

My DD has a double bed for exactly the reason Boysarelikezombies suggests. In the morning we get into her bed and she potters around her bedroom bringing us books to read and it saves us having to get up and down. Thought about toddler bed but decided this was best option for us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now