Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

At the risk of sounding soo soppy and un mumsnettish I wanted to share.....

(18 Posts)
RottenOtter Wed 29-Oct-08 17:18:55

This!

Recently - well i am 41 and hormonally post -natal but i have started to realise that my big children are getting towards the end of their time at home ad my littles wont be so forever

so the other day (when we were watching Mary Poppins in my bed after bath time i was snuggled up to ds3 and 4 (aged 5 and 2) and they both started singing 'feed the birds'

ds3 was full blown pelting it out and ds4 who did not know the words was 'trying' but i could just feel his tiny chest vibrating as he sang

I really 'savoured' the moment - held on tight to the experience and have since re hearsed and held on to the whole scene

these things do NOT last

for all the terrible trials and tribulations that toddlerdom brings it is really very short

my new rule to myself is to not look back and wish i had enjoyed it more!

just thought i would share

VeniVidiVickiQV Wed 29-Oct-08 17:20:19

smile

piratecat Wed 29-Oct-08 17:22:10

sad and [happy] at the same time.

my dd is 6.5 going on 11 and i am starting to 'miss' her already.

BoysAreLikeZombies Wed 29-Oct-08 17:23:16

Awwww

travellingwilbury Wed 29-Oct-08 17:23:21

That made my eyes nearly leak blush

littlelapin Wed 29-Oct-08 17:24:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lizzylou Wed 29-Oct-08 17:25:31

Thanks RottenOtter, my 2 (4.8 and 2.8yrs) have been very challenging at the moment and I have been finding myself losing my rag more and more.

I am going to try and be more like you!

CandleQueen Wed 29-Oct-08 17:27:29

DS1 sings all the time and I love it!

I'm smile and sad today as DS2 has outgrown his first cot at 15 weeks and has moved today into the "big" cot. My baby is growing so fast!

twinsetandpearls Wed 29-Oct-08 17:28:15

That is lovely I had a similar moment with dd (7) earlier in a cafe when she was eating the yummy chocolate fridge cake in our cafe. She took a bite and said
"Mummy isn't it great to taste chocolate when you have not had any for ages" She had some yesterday grin

RottenOtter Wed 29-Oct-08 20:38:02

lizzylou thats sweet ! ! I am not finding it all plain sailing but am actually having an overall parenting 'rein in' at the moment

so whilst being stricter - I am determined to 'savour' this transient time before it is too late

with my older children i look at photos and think ' i did not realise what fun that was' they are teens now sad

still lovely and I am still Mummy but not the same!

misselizabethbennet Wed 29-Oct-08 20:52:55

I only managed to have one DS and he's already 6. You have made me cry. The years pass far too quickly. If I could, I can imagine being one of those women who keep on having babies, because it's so hard to let go of that time.

sweetcat Wed 29-Oct-08 20:57:37

Aw, rottenotter, that's sweet. I know exactly what you mean....

That is so lovely.

DD is being a bit of a pain challenging at the moment so when she said to me tonight that she did not like what I had cooked, I was ready to blow up. Then she said, "You know, even when I do not like what you cook, you are still a really good cook, your meals are delicious"

How can they be so horrible one minute and then make your heart melt the next?

Habbibu Wed 29-Oct-08 21:02:57

That is lovely. dd had her first try of a lollipop yesterday - face was a picture. What was nice in particular was that she got it from lovely lady in the Cancer Research shop - this is after she lay down on the floor, and when I asked if she was coming to pay, said wearily and patiently "No, mummy. Sleep in the shop".

RottenOtter Wed 29-Oct-08 22:04:51

oh ElizabethBennett NOOOOOOO please dont feel sad

things can still be lovely and I am very PROUD of my big children - and love them dearly most of the time -

its just

childhood is so so short and yet so important too

PS I am one of those people you speak of!

RottenOtter Wed 29-Oct-08 22:08:23

Habbibu I do not know how old your daughter is BUT rather coincidentally..

I am a bit strict with sweets ..on the last friday of school i picked up ds3 (5) and took him and ds4 (2.8) to a sweet shop

the boys stayed outside with daddy and the baby and i went in and held up two lollies for the boys to choose which one.......their FACES!!!!!!!

It was worth the deprivation the other 6 months of the year for that 10 minutes!!!

kittkat Thu 30-Oct-08 09:38:08

That is such a lovely post and really made me smile on a very cold morning smile

RottenOtter Thu 30-Oct-08 20:41:11

thankyou I am glad! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now