Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

Baby Carriers

(8 Posts)
sillybillyme Wed 29-Oct-08 14:40:38

Hi,

I've just seen new baby carriers at www.babybill.co.uk/products/RR1/Baby_Carriers.html and I'm thinking of getting one as my 2 year old does not walk too far does anyone have one of these - they are pretty new but they look less complicated than a sling.

Any experience?

omgidbi Wed 29-Oct-08 17:04:04

There's lots of these new carriers coming onto the market, and some of the ones I've tried have been pretty shoddily made and not nearly as supportive as my Ergo Baby Carrier, which might not have a dazzling array of pretty fabrics, but is robust and comfortable - much more important in my mind.

Tangle Wed 29-Oct-08 20:07:21

I would put comfort and strength ahead of appearance as well, but there are some carriers on the market that combine all three attributes as well as some that are not so well made.

Have you had the chance to try a Soft Structured Carrier in real life? I've tried a couple and they just don't agree with me - I seem to do knots better than buckles. Whilst a wrap looks complex it didn't take long to get confident using it, or I've a couple of Mei Tais that work well for me and DD as well and are cooler. DD is now 18 months.

Have you come across slingmeet? If you can find a group you can get to you'd have a chance to try a selection of different carriers in the flesh before shelling out any money. Weight distribution does become more of an issue as your child gets larger, so it would be worth trying to narrow down your choice. RumpleBums has a fairly active, UK based babywearing community - if you don't get any personal experience here you might want to try over there.

Good luck

Tangle Wed 29-Oct-08 20:08:29

ps - if you do decide to get a Rose and Rebellion carrier, you can buy from them direct for the same price but with a wider range of fabrics: roseandrebellion.com/carriers.html

Trafficcone Wed 29-Oct-08 20:23:43

It's a failry standard mai tei, and there are plenty I prefer to those. 'They' might be pretty new but I think you'll find the Chinese have been using ABCs for hundreds of years, rofl!

cuttingmeownthroatdibblaaaargh Wed 29-Oct-08 20:29:00

I carry my 2.5 year old in a Toddlerhawk or TaiTasi - I think for toddlers you really need a sized up carrier, esp if they sleep in it

twentynine Wed 29-Oct-08 20:33:57

Depends on how heavy your child is. I have a whopper of a DD - she's over 30lbs and way past three foot - she goes in a proper baby back carrier with a metal frame which adds two pounds to the weight but when you've carried her for a few minutes you are very grateful for the back support on.

I've tried a few fabric carriers and not found them as good as the solid frame type.

louandaisy Thu 30-Oct-08 11:54:16

Hi I just wanted to let you know that the Rose and Rebellion Carrier is a full soft structured carrier and not a mei tai,it has undergone full UK and European testing up to 20 kilos and meets the BSEN 13209-2, so is not just very pretty but is a robust and safe carrier.

There is a carrier tour going on through Rumplebums at the moment here is the link if you are interested in seeing what others have to say.

http://www.rumplebums.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13176

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now