Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

When to give painkiller?

(2 Posts)
RaspberryBlower Tue 28-Oct-08 14:38:14

I have a 6 month old dd and I am always confused about when to administer painkillers (we give ibuprofen). How do you know if they are in pain or just normal grumpy? DD has a wee tooth poking through and I gave her some last night as she did seem extra grumpy, but on the other hand she hadn't had her proper nap either. I'm sure in the past I've given it innappropriately but on the other hand you don't want them to be in pain. Should I just stop worrying about it and give her it if I think she might be in pain or what? What do other people do?

MidgetGem Tue 28-Oct-08 19:50:27

Hi Rasoberryblower, I was/am exactly the same as you about giving medicine, I hate the idea of giving it to them if they don't actually need it. I actually brought it up with the doctor once and he said for me not to worry and if I am in doubt to give a spoon full of calpol. I know at one point when she was about 8 months I gave her it to her 3 times a week for a couple of weeks at bedtime and I wasn't 100% sure it was the teeth but she wouldn't settle so I presumed it was (and still felt guilty giving her it!). I think as long as you are within the recommended doses you are OK. At this age I think it really is a guessing game!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: