Talk

Advanced search

My dd NEVER shuts up and its driving me round the twist

(17 Posts)
Daisypops Mon 27-Oct-08 19:37:59

I know its normal for them to never shut up, but my happy until I acknowledge EVERYTHING she says. If I don't respond she comes right up to my face shouting and repeating herself. Tonight she asked me about 10 times what batteries were, I told her but she still kep asking 'whats that?'dDon't get me wrong I'm grateful for a happy inquisitive little girl but its really tiring me out shes SO demanding. Does anyone know how to deal with this?

kerryk Mon 27-Oct-08 19:44:11

no advice but my 4 yo dd is the same, always has been.

she wakes up 6 times a night to have a conversation and even when she does actually sleep she talks then as well.

its not only the talking, she sings most of her conversations hmm and uses the french she learned over the summer as much as possible.

everyone loves her for it though. i have lost cound of the amount of people who say she is "full of spirit"

CapnJadetheKnife Mon 27-Oct-08 19:44:21

Dunno - ds is the same. By the end of the day when he is in bed I don;t want to talk to anyone I just want joyous silence for a while.

It especially annoys me when I am driving and trying to concentrate and when I ask him to shut up he carries on.

I have to ignore him sometimes, that's the only plan I can think of and hopefully it will sink in sometime soon hmm

Either that or I run away and have a quite 5 mins.

Otherwise my head would explode.

PsychoAxeMurdererMum Mon 27-Oct-08 19:47:47

got a 6yo DS who is the same.

and he is always on 'playground voice' too, so loud loud loud!!!

<<sigh>>

I love him so very much, but my love certainly increases when he is asleepwinkgrin

kerryk Mon 27-Oct-08 19:50:23

we try using "indoor voice" but it makes no difference.

Daisypops Mon 27-Oct-08 20:28:17

DD is really shy when we go out but with me and my mum she just goes on and on. Honestly I could've cried today. I ignore her but she comes up to my face and shouts, then she cries. Even in the car shes wanting my attention if I explain that I'm driving she just has a massive paddy. I was chopping veg today and she wanted a s rink Shes only 21 months! KerryK, how do you cope with getting up 6 times a night? My dd is up thru the night but if shes still getting up at 4yo i dont know what i'll do. I think I'll start ignoring her and see if the penny drops!

twinsetandpearls Mon 27-Oct-08 20:29:36

My dd (7) isn't loud but talks endlessly and after a while it drives me mad. She can even talk about the fact she talks a lot and all the things she likes to talk about.

kerryk Mon 27-Oct-08 20:58:43

i cope because i have no other choice. (wish i could get it sorted though)

dd1 was a terrible sleeper while dd2 was a dream, just as we got dd1 sorted dd2 started playing up.

we have tried everything but still dont have an answer.

Sassyfrassy Mon 27-Oct-08 21:45:16

yes dear, hmmm, that's interesting, really...

All good non commital replies to use when you've had enough of the incessant talking. After a whole day of listening to dd1 I tend to shut down in the afternoon and let my brain filter the chatting out unless it's something that sounds important. So far (she's almost 4) she hasnt noticed =)

sorkycake Mon 27-Oct-08 21:46:55

when you figure out how to cope let me know. I have one you talks incessantly and one who shouts incessantly.

twinsetandpearls Mon 27-Oct-08 21:47:06

When they get to 7 they realise when you give non committal answers.

DontKillMeBaby Mon 27-Oct-08 21:52:43

7? Pah - I already get 'what does "uh-huh" mean, mummy?', 'why did you say "oh really" mummy?, 'WHY "righto", mummy?' from my 4yo. I keep thinking of good tactics like getting down to her level and making it really CLEAR that I've heard her, and she does NOT need to repeat herself 27 times, but in practice I just go 'argh, STOP talking!!'

Mulanmum Tue 28-Oct-08 03:42:54

Oh for heaven's sake have you lot got nothing else to complain about other than your children chattering? Children chatter - it's what they do!

Flum Tue 28-Oct-08 03:50:21

It is maddening though when they go through a phase like this. Daisypops it IS a phase. It will pass.

Just answer each question with a question - sends em doolally.

Flum Tue 28-Oct-08 03:52:35

I thnk ignoring them makes them worse!!! Just give a response - any response. Then put some really loud disco music on and start dancing around. Hopefully she will start dancing not questioning. Same int the car - music or story tapes eh...

UniS Tue 28-Oct-08 15:53:04

I get why, why, why, why about everything from my 2.5 yr old.
long complicates explanations preceded by " this is complicated so sit down and listen" occasionally work. Well I think they may stun him into silence. more than any thing. seems he may be listening and understanding someof it tho. hes does use some fab words in correct context after some of my " its a bit complicated" answers.
Still drives me nuts when hes gets onto a socks, socks, socks, socks loop tho. DH and I screen him out some of the time.
Am expecting an areoplane loop from him later on today. had unexpected treat today and got to look round a hanger full of planes.

DontKillMeBaby Tue 28-Oct-08 18:46:13

Course we've got better things to do Mulanmum, like thinking, hang on, isn't this the very person who was wondering why people were reading the One Child topic if it annoyed them? Oh yes, it is. Pot, kettle?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now