Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

can Psychomum have some very quick advice please re-DS1 and head wounds.......

(15 Posts)
PsychoAxeMurdererMum Mon 27-Oct-08 11:29:32

DS1 gouged his head on a tree last weds, (some of you may know from the thread I did).

it was glued together, and he has been kept quiet for the last few days (as much as you can with a boy at least<<sigh>>wink), as 1, head injury and 2, some minor blood loss (well......lots as heads bleed, but not enough to panic about IYGWIM).

anyway, back to as normal as poss today, and he has just wacked his head playing wrestling with his brother........on the radiator!

he has opened up his head wound.........it is not pumping, but the sides have definately come apart.

is this an A&E check up job, or can I wait and see how it goes??? Not keen on A&E with all five in half-term, but I don;t want to cause more issue by not going just cos I don;t want the aggro.....IYGWIM.

soo........

advice anyone please

PsychoAxeMurdererMum Mon 27-Oct-08 11:37:07

bump please

mamadiva Mon 27-Oct-08 11:38:45

Id go to A&E but maybe just me My brother wacked his head on a radiator when he jumped off a couch and swung from my ponytail(served the little bugger right ) and split his head quite bad but I think if your DS already had a wound then defo get it checked as it could get infected.

SolosWhompingWillow Mon 27-Oct-08 11:40:54

I think I'd get it checked out. Could you not get your Gp's practise nurse to have a look and advise you first?

PsychoAxeMurdererMum Mon 27-Oct-08 11:42:16

yeah, I was thinking that. it is right on where the wound is (bloody childhmm).

it has already started to clot tho, so unsure what they could do........

RideEmCowboy Mon 27-Oct-08 11:42:17

Practice nurse at GP's surgery I think.

PsychoAxeMurdererMum Mon 27-Oct-08 11:42:51

oooh, GP's......did not think of them

I will ring them first......

tissy Mon 27-Oct-08 11:44:50

if the sides have come apart completely, it'll need glued again, sorry!

Or you could cover it with a plaster, and it will eventually heal, but scar is likely to be wider.

Or you could ask your practice nurse to bring the edges together with paper "butterflies"- this will be fine as long as the wound isn't bleeding torrentially.

PsychoAxeMurdererMum Mon 27-Oct-08 13:12:18

thankyou all.....I rang and they said to come up there and then!

doc looked and said steri-strips, so we then waited an hour for the nurse, and she said no steri-strips as his hair will stop them stickinghmm!

she instead sprayed it with glue stuff and tried to pull his hair over the wound so that the hair could act as 'steri-strips'.......not sure if it will work, and she did not seem sure (leaving me feeling not confident<<sigh>>)

either way, they will have another look tomorrow and go from there. DS1 is complaining that it feels 'open', even tho the blood has clooted again. not sure what to do now, but it is not bleeding now, and I don;t want to get it fiddled with more at A&E if this is suffice.

argh

I guess it will just mean slightly longer healing time again, and a wider scar.....

sorkycake Mon 27-Oct-08 13:17:00

I'd wait until this evening provided he isn't vomiting, passing out etc.
That will give it time to clot properly, clean it up and see what it looks like.
If you're still not sure then go to A&E, maybe at that point someone could help out with the other kiddies.

Kids heal rather quickly anyway ime.

Boys are such numbskulls sometimes!

lulalullabye Mon 27-Oct-08 13:19:23

Your last guess about the larger scar and longer healing is right. Sometimes hair is used to pull the edges of the wound together and usually does work. It is very hard to get the edge of an old wound together after significant healing time so in reality nothing will probably work.

Hair is dodgy as are children and injuries smile

lulalullabye Mon 27-Oct-08 13:20:10

P.S

A&E will not do anything so don't bother going.

PsychoAxeMurdererMum Mon 27-Oct-08 13:43:31

sorky, you made me laugh with 'numbskulls'.....he certainly is todaywink

lula, thankyou for the comment on the hair. It is clearly something that does happen then, rather than her just guessing that the hair might help IYGWIM. I wondered if she was just trying to look as tho she knew what she is doing.....she is a good nurse, please don;t think I am knocking her. I have seen her before.......t'was just after what the doc said and then her faffing about, I did wonder.

lulalullabye Mon 27-Oct-08 20:26:35

More shame on the doc for suggesting steristripping a head with hair shock

hair tying is an age old very good method of wound closure and not many paople know how to do it anymore !

PsychoAxeMurdererMum Mon 27-Oct-08 20:37:51

ahhh.....so the nurse is actually doing something good thenhmmgrin!

DS1 is still up and awake, and he is saying that it feels ok now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: