Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What the hell am I supposed to do with my dd today - help!

(9 Posts)
milkysallgone Mon 27-Oct-08 08:58:07

Arghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Why do they do it to us? Why? We've been invited round to play at a little girl from her nursery's house. We've just discovered they live very close to us and will be in the same reception year so obviously it would be nice to make friends right? WRONG!!

Dd is being a little madam saying "I'm not xxxx's friend and I won't play with her and won't go to her house!" We're supposed to be going over today and I just know dd is going to be a complete nightmare and totally embarrass me (that's if I can drag her there to start with). I haven't lived here all that long and would really like to get friendly with the Mum too.

How should I handle it if she starts being rude and acting up? I just don't know how to approcah this stubborn attitude - she's never been like this about other kids before. Is this what little girls are like? Dd is almost 4 btw.

cory Mon 27-Oct-08 09:01:09

Not unusual. She's probably nervous and 4yos can be right little madams.

The important thing is damage limitation- i.e. if dd behaves badly that you show the other little girl and her Mum that you think so too. Take her home straight away if she's playing up.

But first see if you can't sell it as a happy thing.

Scootergrrrl Mon 27-Oct-08 09:02:38

The other mother will sympathise, I'm sure, if your DD starts playing up. You could just say something like "that's a shame you don't want to go, I guess we'll just stay here and.... {fill in something really boring that she hates) instead"

lisad123 Mon 27-Oct-08 09:03:20

bribe her wink

no seriously ask her why she doesnt like xx and then explain that it hurts people to say that. Can you get dd looked after and go alone? and yes normal 4year old behaviour

mynameisluka Mon 27-Oct-08 09:04:38

Sugar and spice and all things nice That's what little girls are made of - until it comes to friendships. Haha.
Girls of this age are in my experience very contrary. She'll probably have a lovely time with her friend. I hope you enjoy it too. That's what its for really isn't it.
Maybe make some cakes or biscuits or something to take with you as a present for her to share with her friend? Or let her choose a packet of biscuits in the shop if baking really isn't on your agenda.
Have a great time and have the old 'she's really tired today' as a ready excuse for anything that goes wrong. The clock change may help with the excuse today.
Have a lovely time! smile

ConnorTraceptive Mon 27-Oct-08 09:05:19

Oh ds (3.6) has been having a spell of this at the moment. I must admit I do find it embarassing. I still go to peoples houses but they tend to be people I know well so I can for warn them in advance!!

I agree with Cory I always pull DS up on it.

milkysallgone Mon 27-Oct-08 09:08:03

Thank you all - nice to hear it's all normal stuff. We are actually intending to take some baking round which I thought might win dd over, but she's been all "I do not want to take cookies round to xx's house and I will take them off her Mummy!" shock.

She will sense my deperation and make things worse - I know it. [sigh]

Acinonyx Mon 27-Oct-08 09:46:47

We've just moved and trying to make friends with the preschoolers dd (3) will be at school with. Dd is very contrary about absolutely everything these days and will declare she doesn't want to see even her favourite friends. I can usually find some anle to sell the idea. It's tough with new people though as you want to make a good impression - older friends I just ignore dd's wails and tell her I want to see the mums and that's that.

Scootergrrrl Mon 27-Oct-08 19:12:43

Did you go? Did she behave?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now