Talk

Advanced search

How do I know if my DD is really advanced for her age?

(90 Posts)
aly16 Sun 26-Oct-08 21:25:31

My DD is 2yr 3 mnths and can already count to 26, knows her alphabet, about 6 nursery rhymes and can hold full conversations. Is this normal for her age? Most of her friends are boys and they can't do these things but I have been told girls tend to pick things up quicker.

CapnJadetheKnife Sun 26-Oct-08 21:26:40

why does it matter?

They are all ahead and behind in different areas at this age, and most will even out as they get older.

Dottoressa Sun 26-Oct-08 21:27:56

I'm not sure there really is a 'normal'. At that age, my DS could count to considerably more than 26, could read various words, and was holding full conversations about 'intermittent rain' and such like. My DD is now four, and she can count ad infinitum, but doesn't know all her letter sounds and has no interest in them either!

I'd say they were both completely normal.

traceybath Sun 26-Oct-08 21:28:51

She sounds bright smile But depends how much hot housing you're doing with her i guess.

Just enjoy her and keep her interested in books and lots of playing.

notnowbernard Sun 26-Oct-08 21:28:51

Yes, but can she play chess?

For that is the key indicator of genius IMO

wink

harpomarx Sun 26-Oct-08 21:29:58

think dd could do similar by that age - agree with CapnJade though, why does it matter? dd was verbally advanced and physically behind some of her peers.

It all evens out within a few years, just enjoy her company smile

childrenofthecornsilk Sun 26-Oct-08 21:30:23

Exactly notnowbernard. If she can change a plug, she's got something.

aly16 Sun 26-Oct-08 21:30:28

It doesn't matter just wondered. Everyone is always saying she is really clever but she just is normal to me. Just wondered if anyone elses children could do these things at her age.

RedOnHerBeheadedHead Sun 26-Oct-08 21:32:48

My DS could do all that at that age too. I agree there is no normal.
some children excell in some things and are behind in others. There's no point in comparing them with her friends, their parents may see you as smug.

notnowbernard Sun 26-Oct-08 21:34:11

DD2 is 2.2m

She can count to 12

Doesn't have a clue what ABC is let alone recite it

Can sing a fair few nursery rhymes

You can have a proper chat with her (sort of, you might need me to translate a bit though grin)

Can draw a circle - that's it

Can't play chess - alas

RedOnHerBeheadedHead Sun 26-Oct-08 21:36:11

I always get told that DS1 is advanced - but i take it with a pinch of salt - I don't wan't to be like my MIL - My DH was always top of his class and oncw when he came home with his results and he was 2nd in the class she had a go at him.

I just want to let my DS grow up at his own pace.

childrenofthecornsilk Sun 26-Oct-08 21:36:12

Einstein had delayed speech. Make of that what you will.

thatsnotmymonster Sun 26-Oct-08 21:38:38

There are loads of people on MN whose dc's can/could do loads more than that at that age.

DS is bright but has no interest in counting (he's 3.7 and can count to 10 but really can't be bothered). He has a fantastic memory, loves maps, is great at recognising people, places, directions. Picks up language and understands subtle nuances, humour. A lot of what he says amazes me. He is also really good at sports- hitting, throwing, jumping etc. He is rubbish at dressing/undressing.

My dd is 2.3yrs and she has only been talking for about 6mths. She is very babyish and has been slow in all her developmental accomplishments. However, it wouldn't surprise me at all if she did better at school than her brother- she is much more determined and independent.

Intelligence is about many things and unless your dc is a genius it really doesn't matter.

aly16 Sun 26-Oct-08 21:39:07

When people tell me I sort of shrug it off cos there's no way I want to appear smug, my friends children are all wonderful. She just has me gobsmacked sometimes with some of the stuff she comes out with. I certainly don't teach her anything the majority is picked up from tv and singing toys.

harpomarx Sun 26-Oct-08 21:40:20

cornsilk, that reminds me of one of my favourite jokes grin

RottenOtter Sun 26-Oct-08 21:43:02

thatsnotmymonster wink too right

RottenOtter Sun 26-Oct-08 21:44:20

fab joke

ohIdoliketobebesidethe Sun 26-Oct-08 21:47:31

I am very impressed with what your dd can do at that age. She is more impressive than mine was at that age and we have had loads of comments about dd being clever. Of course your role is to make them happy - but feeling smug about your child is a very healthy normal ?important emotion for a parent.

childrenofthecornsilk Sun 26-Oct-08 21:48:19

LOL harpo!

aly16 Sun 26-Oct-08 21:51:06

Thank you 'ohidoliketobebesidethe' Well of course I feel smug sometimes but I do try not to appear smug as my friends obv all feel the same about their children. I just hope she stays this way through school. I'd never push her but would love for her to do well for herself. She is so happy and very loved (big family).

harpomarx Sun 26-Oct-08 21:51:21

It is particularly funny when the child speaks in a full blown German accent, cornsilk wink

suwoo Sun 26-Oct-08 21:52:10

Ha, loving that joke. That could have been written about my super bright (but didn't speak until 2) DH.

hatrickortreat Sun 26-Oct-08 21:52:45

Message withdrawn

aly16 Sun 26-Oct-08 21:54:28

hmm

hatrickortreat Sun 26-Oct-08 21:56:29

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now