Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Baby monitors* Do You Still Use Them?*

(15 Posts)
choccychic Wed 09-Mar-05 12:47:35

Just wondering how many people out there still use their monitors even though their children are school age? My DS2 has recently played at 2 different friends houses and been amazed that the mum knew what they had been playing/saying. It hadn't entered my head to keep one and I am not sure if I like the idea! What does anyone else think?

suzywong Wed 09-Mar-05 12:53:21

didn't even use it for ds2 let alone still have it

Marina Wed 09-Mar-05 12:56:47

We still use ours at night as due to a quirk of the building (and no it is not massive, just a solid 30s semi) we cannot hear either child unless they bellow or hurl themselves down the stairs. But the listener is in the baby's room and I would never have it on during the day to "spy" on ds, who's five

Furball Wed 09-Mar-05 13:04:28

Never had one. Our walls seem to be made of paper!!

miranda2 Wed 09-Mar-05 13:21:43

We haven't used ours since ds started sleeping through the night at about 7 months, except on holiday etc. But we did use it the other day when some friends came round for dinner and their ds went to bed with our ds (both 3) - just to make sure that we could hear if things went from chatting and chucking teddy bears about to all out warfare. I must say it was very amusing to be eavesdropping on their mad conversations!! But wouldn't use it generally, just for safety monitoring in htat kind of situation.

Gwenick Wed 09-Mar-05 13:27:44

We didn't have one at all for DS1 - and only got one for DS2 when we moved to our Victorian terrace with bunker thick walls - and where he's inaudible from the kitchen or bathroom.

We only use it during the night when we're downstairs (we don't bother taking it upstairs as we'd be able to hear him) or when he and his brother are playing in their bedroom (they're 15 months and 4yrs). Once they're a little older I don't think we use it, just that DS2 obviously can't 'say' what it is he wants so we need to keep an ear on things while they're playing.

Davros Wed 09-Mar-05 14:18:54

I still use mine as children on another floor to us.

moniker Wed 09-Mar-05 14:24:16

I stil use mine - DSs are 3 and 5. We have an old house and can't hear a thing from one room to the next. The monitor is on the landing and the speaker is on the lounge. I use for safety reasons though, not to spy!! I find it really useful actually although will probably stop using it when DS2 is a bit older.

choccychic Wed 09-Mar-05 14:28:08

Thanks all. My immediate reaction was a bit uncomfortable that someone was"spying" on the kids. Given they are all old enough to play as sensibly as 5 yr old boys ever do, it just felt a bit like a lack of trust ? Boys will be boys and will explore words and deeds that we may prefer them not to, but do we need to know? and do they need to know that we know? or are they entitled to a little privacy. I entirely see the point and agree with use for safety use/ mixed age ranges.

fisil Wed 09-Mar-05 14:29:34

We got ours back out when ds moved to the loft room (never really used it when he was a baby). He just sits in bed and calls for us in the morning - he won't get out of bed and play/come and find us! So we switch it on when we wake up and within a minute we hear "mummy, daddy".

choccychic Wed 09-Mar-05 14:29:57

Moniker, crossed posting ! I guess I should chill and trust other mums judgement, it was just that it had put my DS2 off his stride a bit!

NomDePlume Wed 09-Mar-05 14:32:36

DD is 2y 7m and we still use ours, as she's in a bedroom above the garage on the opposite side of the house to the living room (downstairs) so we can't her crying or calling for us until she's hysterical if we don't use the monitor

bubbly1973 Wed 09-Mar-05 15:14:56

i still use mine ds is 2years8mths, he sleeps with us in our bed, but he goes to bed early about 7ish, and we are downstairs

actually i havent thought about when to stop using it, will have to think about that one

northstar Wed 09-Mar-05 15:18:34

Blatant crashing in on thread coming up.......
If anyone decides they're going to give up using theirs i'm looking for a cheap basic one

NotQuiteCockney Wed 09-Mar-05 15:35:52

I still use mine with DS1, as he's in the loft, and I can't hear him otherwise. We're training him off calling us randomly in the night, though - he recently woke us up, saying he'd bit his hand, and could we come up and wipe it dry! (The answer was a resounding "no"!)

I do use it a bit when he has friends playing in the loft, but him playing on his own with people is a bit of a new thing, and I'm worried about kids wanting down and not being able to open the hatch, or not being used to loft ladders. I try not to listen in, though, just listen for shouting. DS1 is 3 1/2.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now