Talk

Advanced search

If a child goes into hospital for an op ....

(14 Posts)
Mulanmum Sat 25-Oct-08 23:15:00

... can one of its parents stay with it?Obviously not in the operating theatre wink but overnight on the, erm, ward or in a private room?

Please don't scream "PFB" at me, but mine has a hospital appt next week and I'm worried she might need an op and she's never fallen asleep without one of us beside her. She's nearly 4. Anyone know?

yes. afaik they will not make a 4yo stay alone

ewwwmy2shoesarefullofblood Sat 25-Oct-08 23:19:21

they can.
where you sleep depends on the hospital. I have slept on a matress in a another room and next to him in a chair. a lot of the mums of younger ones just pulled the curatins round the bed and got in with their child.
nothing to do with PFB, hospitals are scare places for little people.

ds was 15 when he had his last op and I was still going to stay.

Saturn74 Sat 25-Oct-08 23:20:55

Yes, parents can stay.
I still do with DS2 (10).
Perfectly acceptable. smile

PhantomOfTheChocolateCake Sat 25-Oct-08 23:21:46

They have fold up chair beds that are horrid by the side of each child's bed but you don't have to stay. I would take a spare blanket and pillow as there are normally not enough pillows to go around and it can get chilly at night. Remember the ear plugs.

PortAndDemon Sat 25-Oct-08 23:22:48

Normally, yes -- Z-bed or chair, depending on facilities. You'll probably have to feed yourself, though (the children's ward at our local hospital has a small kitchenette with microwave for the use of accompanying parents).

lilolilmanchester Sat 25-Oct-08 23:23:05

Hi Mulanmum, the possibility of a child going in to hospital is scarey. Feel free to post without anyone screaming PFB (and even if they do, there'll be plenty of us looking out for you and ignoring them!)

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Sat 25-Oct-08 23:24:07

Yes you can stay. Usually only one of you and they most often provide a z-bed next to your child's bed (although sometimes it's just a chair if you'e very unlucky).

It's not PFB to stay with your 4 year old. I stayed with my 14 year old last time she was in and she's my precious 3rd born smile

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Sat 25-Oct-08 23:24:44

Oh yes - take your own pillow. They're usually like gold dust!

Mulanmum Sat 25-Oct-08 23:30:38

Thanks very much for putting my mind at rest. Once I know if she does need an op or not I'll get back to your for reassurance on general anaesthetic!

ewwwmy2shoesarefullofblood Sat 25-Oct-08 23:34:55

I will add this thread to my watched ones. ds has had about 8 ops.

misdee Sat 25-Oct-08 23:36:28

yes. dh stayed with dd1 when she was admitted overnight after an asthma attack when she was 2. i recently had to take dd3 in for day surgey, but was given a side room for the day, just in case she had to stay over.

kid Sat 25-Oct-08 23:50:42

I stayed with DD when she was 11 months old. She didn't have an op but was kept in overnight for suspected meningitis. They provided a cot for DD, a bed for me and a chair that went into a bed for DH. We all stayed in a private room, free of charge shock

Skramble Sun 26-Oct-08 00:01:34

Childrens ward her
z beds beside each childs bed, nearly every child under 12 had a parent staying. Very noist with kids crying, coughing and mums snoring. Pillows usually have water proof covers and are cruncy and sweaty. Need a decent nighty and or gown for trips to loo and early morning vitals check.

Take a few food and drink supplies as you will have to go to canteen to eat and if child is frantic you might not want to go that far.

You can usually get a cuppa but will have to drink it in the visitor lounge bit probably.

Hopefully they have individual TV's, kids usually get access free and they can go online or watch TV, amuses tham for a few hours.

A little goody box for DD can also amuse them, pencils, mini things, little toys, padlock to fiddle with, nice mini toiletries, etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now