Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Getting toddler off the dummy - advice please!

(6 Posts)
Pops30 Fri 24-Oct-08 12:56:07

My DD will be 2 in a couple of weeks and I want to stop her use of a dummy. I always told myself I'd do it at 1 and for various reasons (long haul flights, and me being too chicken!) let her keep using it.

Do I go cold turkey? I think she is too young to understand it's gone to tthe 'dummy fairy'.

She only uses it to sleep. I know she will cry and ask for it when I put her to bed. Do I leave her crying? I would feel bad doing this as it's my fault that she uses a dummy in the first place. But if I'm in there constantly comforting her to sleep is that going to cause future problems too?

If anyone has experience of stopping the dummy with a child of this age, who uses it just for sleeping, I'd appreciate advice, thank you.

clam Fri 24-Oct-08 13:08:51

Hmm, we used the old fairy thing..... when you're two the fairies come and swap your dummies for a present. But they were a bit older to be fair. DS was fine about it, but we had a few nights of hell with DD. She just didn't know how to go to sleep without it. Maybe leave it a bit longer? If she only has it for sleep, then who's to know? Nearly 2 is just an arbitrary point. Needs to suit you all.

kw13 Fri 24-Oct-08 13:08:58

I thought of doing this when my DS was 2 as well - and then read someone else's post somewhere else that said 'why'? And I suddenly realized that it was only me that was worried about it. You don't see 25 year old still using one. I suspect that my DS will grow out of it himself at some point - probably when he realizes that other boys don't use one/have one. My DS sleeps like a dream with it, rarely wakes up, and never uses it during the day. Problem solved. ps: it's not your fault that she uses a dummy. Some children love them and it really helps, some don't. There is new evidence I think that suggests that using a dummy can even help reduce the risk of SIDS! Yes, they look ugly. But a night of blissful sleep - I don't care what they look like!

Pops30 Fri 24-Oct-08 14:26:40

Thanks for the messages. I guess I'm stopping it because it bothers me but if it helps her sleep perhaps I could wait a little longer, what's the urgency?

notnowbernard Fri 24-Oct-08 14:32:26

May I ask, if she's only using it to sleep why take it now?

3 would be a better age to 'get' the dummy fair thing

Dd1 was just 3 when she stopped hers. Cold turkey, only way!

notnowbernard Fri 24-Oct-08 14:32:45

dummy fairy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now