Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Are you as rubbish as me at doing your dd's hair up nice?

(70 Posts)
PuppyMonkey Fri 24-Oct-08 12:38:17

My 18-month-old has hair from hell. All fluffy and static at the back. Looks like Bobby Charlton's comb-over at the front.

I try to do pony tails and pig tails. She pulls them out. I put a cute clip in, it might stay in for half an hour then will have either fallen out or been eaten by her (probably).

I don't want to get her hair all cut off <<sob>> - she already gets called a boy all the time. I want cute pig tails!!!!!

All the other girls at toddlers look fab. How do their mums (or dads, is it??) do it?

Where am I going wrong...?sad

MamaG Fri 24-Oct-08 12:38:57

You hae to wait until her hair thickens up/lengthens when she's older I'm afraid

PuppyMonkey Fri 24-Oct-08 12:44:57

I suspect you're right MamaG. Sigh. I'll have to put one of those crap hair bands on her.. grin

PuppyMonkey Fri 24-Oct-08 14:56:21

bump for what it's worth!

cikecaka Fri 24-Oct-08 15:27:36

My 21 month old DD will not keep her hair in either. I can only really manage to plait hair for older DDs when their hair is wet!! I have to get them to sit on the ground while i sit on the couch to try and get them into ponytails etc

DeJaVous Fri 24-Oct-08 15:32:19

Does she have enough hair to have a fringe? That would definitely 'girly' her up a bit. Mmmm and a little bob type affair with a fringe is always super sweet on tiny ones too IMO.

TheShipsCat Fri 24-Oct-08 15:36:59

I'm as rubbish as that. I can't do hair clips - just can't work out how they are meant to stay in. All my friends can do DDs hair, but not me. hmm

OneRainyDay Fri 24-Oct-08 15:38:55

Use a little conditioner when you wash it and enjoy her having the lovely cute wild hair only toddlers seem to be allowed to have.

OneRainyDay Fri 24-Oct-08 15:39:43

Plus hairclips in an 18mo ? My DD would have hated it.

PuppyMonkey Fri 24-Oct-08 15:40:31

DeJa - she's not quite ready for a full fringe yet, her hairline hasn't completed iuswim. But yes I would so love her to have it in a sweet little bob.

TBh, even DD1 who is 11 and has long lovely hair sometimes asks me to help with a pony tail or pigtail - and my efforts are equally crap.

I need to go on a course I think grin.

clam Fri 24-Oct-08 15:41:15

Wait 'til she starts ballet! Then you'll know what being rubbish at hair is!

PuppyMonkey Fri 24-Oct-08 15:42:12

Well, there's wild and then there's..... fluffy... which is what DD2 has! Mousse helps a bit, but then it all springs up again!!

OneRainyDay Fri 24-Oct-08 15:44:19

Hair mousse on an 18 month old? Are you serious?

PuppyMonkey Fri 24-Oct-08 15:45:19

er.. yes blush. Is that very bad?

OneRainyDay Fri 24-Oct-08 15:46:29

I am shocked, and hope you are joking.

MrsBadger Fri 24-Oct-08 15:46:54

baby hair is hard to do anything with - leave it alone, dress her in pink and be as patient as you can

OneRainyDay Fri 24-Oct-08 15:49:03

So just realise she's pulling her clips and bobbles out for a reason, it's probably uncomfortable and looks ridiculous.

And no wonder she has awful hair if you mess with it and cover it in crap.

PuppyMonkey Fri 24-Oct-08 15:50:25

erm, not joking. Only a tiny amount of mousse rubbed in to flatten it at the back so it doesn't stick up and make her look like she has had an electric shock.

I am shocked that you are so shocked... why is it such a bad thing to do?

I did tell you I was crap with hair... I don't know the rules... sad

sagacious Fri 24-Oct-08 15:50:40

dd had similar hair at that age, after wrestling with clips that wouldn't stay in and skimpy plaits I just left it, it will grow
She; now 4 and has dead straight nearly waist length hair with a fringe. Scrummy

Not sure why the outrage at hair products I didn't use them but ..

[shrug]

ilovetochat Fri 24-Oct-08 15:50:50

my dd also suffers from a comb over blush, i use hair slides as far back as i can as if she can't feel them she leaves them in or i put a bobble in the top and she looks like a pineapple blush
would never use mousse though shock

sagacious Fri 24-Oct-08 15:51:48

Please don't do the hairband thing though... that I would get outraged about grin

PuppyMonkey Fri 24-Oct-08 15:52:08

Right will someone please tell me what is so wrong wuith mousse!!?

OneRainyDay Fri 24-Oct-08 15:52:27

Mine have wild wavy curls, DD has such thin hair at the front she looks like she's receding.

I have never had any urge to style their hair. Just leave it alone.

PuppyMonkey Fri 24-Oct-08 15:52:58

Sagacious - now I WAS joking about that grin

PuppyMonkey Fri 24-Oct-08 15:54:44

Well, wild wavy curls does sound nice ORD... but I promise you... dd2's is not wild in a pre-raphaelite way. More in a static nightmare way!

But I will leave it alone...I promise. I consider myself well and truly told off... wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now