Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

6 mth old in cot for first time. Is it the right desicion?

(13 Posts)
plj Thu 23-Oct-08 08:52:52

I finally took the plunge and moved my 6month old DD into her cot in her own room. Everything fine for 1st week, now she has figured out she has so much space to wriggle about in, that in the mornings, I have found her lying upside down, side to side across the cot, and with her legs dangling out of the side of the cot through the bars. That is the bit that worries me. I am convinced she is going to get her legs stuck and hurt herself. Am I over reacting? Any practical advice? I thought about another set of cot bumpers for the bottom of the cot? Why do the cot bumpers go at the top anyway, when the advice is to put babies at the bottom?

WowOoo Thu 23-Oct-08 08:58:19

Sure, she'll be fine. Mine used to do the legs sticking out thing and were fine. Used to find them in all sorts of strange positions, I marvelled at how they could sleep like that.
Sometimes had to go in and rearrange them!
We never used cot bumpers so can't help you there.

Wisknit Thu 23-Oct-08 08:59:25

My ds2, after co-sleeping til 12months is in a cot and was waking up cos his legs would get stck between cot bars. I put him in a sleeping bag and he can't any more. Also means he doesn't wake cos of coldness where he wriggles out from under the covers.

HTH

fizzpops Thu 23-Oct-08 09:02:18

I know how scary it can be. My DD has been in a cotbed for a while as she outgrew her moses basket at about 10 weeks if I remember correctly. I had the experience of finding her across/ almost completely turned round in her cot every time I put her down but have discovered that if she is not comfortable (eg if her head is too near the bars or she gets stuck) then she lets me know about it in no uncertain terms. I just put her back where she started and she falls back to sleep again.

I was tempted by cot bumpers too but felt they would cause me more worry than they would put my mind at rest so persevered with the turning and now she doesn't seem to turn at all so maybe got bored with it.

Grobags might stop her legs from going through the bars, at least at night (I still use sheet and blanket during the day as it is easier than getting her in and out of her clothes and sleeping bag).

We are just about to move her to her own room and part of me is sad/ nervous and another part of me thinks it will be kinder as we will disturb her less.

plj Thu 23-Oct-08 09:17:19

It was a big enough decision to make and don't want to go back on it now, but guess it's me that needs the reassurance. She seems so tiny in a big cot, even though she had outgrown her moses basket. Where could I look for a Grobag at a reasonable price, as that sounds a good idea. I do worry that she is cold, as never atays under covers.

meep Thu 23-Oct-08 09:25:41

I got a grobag from here - arrived quickly and a good price. You can also get them in bhs/asda/tesco/m&s and they are a bit cheaper: m&s

They do look so tiny when you first out them in a cot - but dd has been much happier in hers and it will feel more normal soon.

I think cot bumpers are a worry as they get older as they can use them to climb out!!

plj Thu 23-Oct-08 09:28:23

Will take a look at the grobags. Thank you.

cashy Thu 23-Oct-08 11:01:20

my dd was exactly the same, wriggled all over the place. ALWAYS head at the wrong end when i came in in the morning, arms and legs out of the bars! I felt the same was as plj - cot bumpers worried me more. We use grobags but dd still manages (at 9 mths) to get legs through the bars...only now she can stand up as well so she's much more interested in doing that!
Don't worry i think all baby's do it smile

Wisknit Thu 23-Oct-08 11:18:15

I got a gro-bag from John Lewis for about £12.

plj Thu 23-Oct-08 11:26:01

£12 seems quite reasonable. I just checked a few sites on line, and the average price was £30. Do John Lewsi deliver? I don't drive, and DP works away a lot. Nearest John Lewis is Glasgow-a taxi ride and train ride away from home.

meep Thu 23-Oct-08 11:33:32

yes - JL deliver - remember you'll need a 2.5 tog in this weather!

Wisknit Thu 23-Oct-08 15:15:07

that was a couple of years ago though, do you have any NCT nearly new sales near you? They seem to have tons and nice and cheap.

plj Fri 24-Oct-08 07:54:02

Only have an Asda, Tescos and Dunnes near me. Am going to go and have a look today and see if I can find one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now