Talk

Advanced search

Amber teething necklaces - opinions/reviews do they work?

(2 Posts)
ilovemyflipflops Wed 22-Oct-08 10:00:33

I'm thinking of getting my dd 23 months one, i like the idea of something natural helping her through the pain of her back teeth coming through. Also on a purely aesthetic note.. i think they are rather pretty too (although i would not let her wear a necklace this young for that reason alone.)

Couple of questions, has anyone ever used one on their baby/toddler, do you think it made a difference? Also can i ask opinions on seeing a toddler wearing a necklace? Do you think i'll get disapproving looks/comments..

Some info on amber necklaces for those who aren't familiar with them and their believed healing properties.

"The traditional beaded amber necklaces imported from the Baltic region are believed to have calming, healing and uplifting effects and may help children who are dealing with inflammation, pain or stress.
Wearing Baltic Amber close to the skin is a traditional European remedy. Amber is a natural analgesic and may help calm a child who is stressed, nervous or in pain without the use of drugs. Amber is traditionally known to have calming, anti-inflammatory, analgesic (pain relief), soothing and uplifting properties and may help children who are dealing with inflammation, pain or stress. Amber is believed to reduce inflammation of the throat, ear and stomach. Traditionally used to fight inflammation, it is known to be healing, soothing and harmonizing.

Amber is a resin, not a stone. It is therefore warm to the touch, as well as very comfortable and light to wear. Scientific investigation into the therapeutic effects of amber is ongoing. Currently, there are two different theories that attempt to explain how wearing amber on the skin can have a soothing and calming effect.

One theory suggests that when amber is worn on the skin, the skin's warmth releases miniscule amounts of healing oils from the amber which are then absorbed via the skin into the bloodstream. Amber's anti-inflammatory and therapeutic properties are also recognized by allopathic medicine. In Austria, Switzerland and Germany, you will find amber necklaces sold in local pharmacies. Pharmacists and doctors have long known about the healing properties of amber which include calmative, analgesic, antispasmodic, expectorant, and febrifuge (anti-fever) functions. The active ingredient in amber is succinic acid, which was analysed by the pioneer of modern bacteriology, Nobel-prize winner Robert Koch (1886), who confirmed its positive influence. Recent scientific research has confirmed that succinic acid has a very positive influence on the human organism.
In the 1930s and 40s, European biochemists discovered that succinic acid is an amino acid created naturally in every cell of the body capable of aerobic respiration, participating in the citric acid, or Krebs cycle. This is how carbohydrates, fats, and proteins are metabolized into energy. A powerful antioxidant that helps fight toxic free radicals and disruptions of the cardiac rhythm, succinic acid has been shown to stimulate neural system recovery and bolster the immune system. It also helps compensate for energy drain in the body and brain, boosting awareness, concentration and reflexes, and reducing stress.

A second theory is based on scientific findings which have shown that amber is electromagnetically alive and therefore charged with a significant amount of organic energy. Its special attribute is the fact that it is electronegative. Wearing amber produces negative ionisation on the skin's surface. This, in turn, has a positive influence on the human body. The negative ions assist in the in the prevention of illness. These health-promoting effects apply to children and adults alike.

It is possible that the soothing, healing and calming effect of amber necklaces, which has been empirically observed, is based on a combination of the factors listed above."

KatieDD Wed 22-Oct-08 14:55:03

We had one for DD2, calpol and nelsons teething powder is 100% more effective IMO
I honestly do not think they work, I wanted to though for all the reasons you list.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now