Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Young children sharing a double bed

(17 Posts)
MaDAMNEDAnt Tue 21-Oct-08 21:08:36

We're having to look for another rented house/flat at the moment. Our DCs (DD is 3.9 DS is 2.3) are currently sharing a room. It's proving v difficult to find another property with twin beds in one of the rooms.

I'm considering sticking them in a double bed together.

Is this "unfair" on them? Will it be a nightmare? Has anyone any experience in doing this (other than v short-term)?

Thankyouandgoodnight Tue 21-Oct-08 21:14:38

My friend introduced her two to a double bed when they were about the same age - slightly older if anything and it works brilliantly. I was quite sceptical but am now seriously considering doing this with my two when they get out of cots etc. Hers also have the option of two singles but actively choose the double.

Have you asked your DD what she thinks about the idea?

Thankyouandgoodnight Tue 21-Oct-08 21:15:27

also - can you push their beds together and make up as a double (using a double sheet etc) in their current room to try it out?

GodzillasGhastlyPutridBumcheek Tue 21-Oct-08 21:16:58

Nearly did this with my twin girls, but settled on a bunk eventually. Having said that they have never had problems when staying over at family's houses in double bed. Do be prepared for some antics though as they get used to it!

Jas Tue 21-Oct-08 21:17:54

Not a double bed, but my dds had thier bunk beds seperated and pushed together iyswim. They shared like that from ages 1 and 2 to about 5 and 6, and it worked ok. The only problem I would have with the double is if one wets the bed, they both have to be disturbed to change the sheets.

MaDAMNEDAnt Tue 21-Oct-08 21:19:44

Oh that's good to hear! Great idea to do a trial run.

No I haven't asked DD what she thinks yet...thought I'd run it past you lot first. Cos whatever you say goes hmm grin

MaDAMNEDAnt Tue 21-Oct-08 21:20:51

Good point Jas.

frogs Tue 21-Oct-08 21:22:50

No, it's fine. Use two single duvets rather than a double, though.

Jas Tue 21-Oct-08 21:23:30

DD1 went off the whole thing when dd2 was sick in the bed, toogrin

It did work reasonably well though, and gave them room to play as well as sleep.

bozza Tue 21-Oct-08 21:27:53

I shared a double with one or other of my sisters until I was nearly 8, with the other in a bunk above.

Thankyouandgoodnight Tue 21-Oct-08 21:29:14

Actually, you could have two single sheets on the bottom to counter the bed wetting problem (great point Jas!). I love the idea of a double duvet so I think I would just have a spare one already in it's cover incase of any accidents.

If you wanted to be really smart, you could put single sheets on, then single waterproof protectors and then single sheets again on top. If any accidents, you just strip the sheet and waterproof thingy off and hey presto - ready made bed underneath + your spare covered duvet(s) - job done grin.

BloodshotEyeballsintheScarySky Tue 21-Oct-08 21:30:28

At the risk of sounding like a Monty Python sketch... my mother slept three in a double bed when she was a child. Didn't do them any harm at all. I think she found it very difficult when the older two left home and she had the bed to herself!

If they get on it sounds very cosy to me.

ravenAK Tue 21-Oct-08 21:31:28

Ds & dd1 regularly share a double when we stay with my parents - they regard it as a treat.

It does mean quite a big floor 'footprint' though. As one possible alternative, would it be possible for you to supply your own bunks (cheap from Ikea/Argos or blagged from Freecycle), & ask landlord to remove the double?

MaDAMNEDAnt Tue 21-Oct-08 21:31:41

Coo get you Mrs Organisation-Pants grin

MaDAMNEDAnt Tue 21-Oct-08 21:34:48

That was to thankyouandgoodnight by the way.

Thank you all for your input. Sounds ike I have a solution to the bed dilemma. (Raven - yes, that's plan A, but tricky to persuade landlord)

Thankyouandgoodnight Tue 21-Oct-08 21:35:43

I just hate sick and must get rid of it as quickly as possible grin

omeNofthefleshes Tue 21-Oct-08 21:45:32

my dds are 21mths and 2.10yrs and have a bunk bed that has a double on the bottom. DD1 alternates between sleeping on the top bunk and sleeping with dd2. Just depends on their moods..also sometimes ds will go in there with them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now