Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

DS doesn't want to do ANY group activities

(7 Posts)
meysey Mon 07-Mar-05 22:19:28

Hi

My DS1 is 4.5 and just doesn't want to do any group activities. Other kids we know do at least 2 a week such as swimming, tennis, dance etc

He used to do gymnastics but soon lost heart. Swimming was fine with a parent but then the next class up was unaccompanied and he didn't like that.

He goes to nursery and joins in everything there and has plenty of friends. So I am not sure whether to relax about it and let him do things in his own time, or whether to push him a bit more. He can be shy in new situations, but does not want to do activities even where he knows people already. (Have to say I do sympathise being a bit shy too!)

He is good at amusing himself at home with imaginative play and building stuff etc.

Should I worry?

moondog Mon 07-Mar-05 22:22:03

No!!
Sounds like my dd.
Come to the conclusion that a lot of kids are doing too much. At this age, lots just like being with their mummy, buggering about. (I NEVER dreamt that I would be saying this 2 years ago, but I have completely changed my opinion and expectations!)

sacha3taylor Mon 07-Mar-05 23:05:02

My DS is quite happy for me to leave him at parties etc but will not play any party games! If I stay, he still wont do them, I think he is affraid of loosing. He also wont go to gym, swimming or dance no matter how many of his friendsgo. I don't care if he doesn't want to go but I know he would enjoy it once he had gone once. I do tend to think that if you force them to go or show that you are worried about it then it will only make things work!!!! HTH.X X X

sacha3taylor Mon 07-Mar-05 23:06:01

I ment make things worse, not work!

Janh Mon 07-Mar-05 23:07:28

Noooo, I wouldn't worry, not at 4.5. He sounds very sensible to me

He will let you know when he wants to do things. I would wait until he does.

moondog Tue 08-Mar-05 09:44:40

Just struck me that I'm 37 and I'm not into group activities either...
(still gor plenty of friends though!! )

WestCountryLass Tue 08-Mar-05 14:43:54

If he's not bothered about going then why waste your money on it? I am pretty sure my DS will be the same way as he is a homebird too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now