Talk

Advanced search

Broody for number 3-help me suppress my urge to try again!

(17 Posts)
Itcanwait Sun 19-Oct-08 22:13:27

Sorry-bit of a vague post but just wondered how anyone else deals with this feeling when it's just not 'sensible/practical' to contemplate having another child. I am over the moon to have 2 healthy children but there's room in my heart for another! Is that the case no matter how many children you have?

RGPargy Sun 19-Oct-08 22:17:16

hiya

i feel exactly the same!! I keep trying to convince DP that we should start TTC another DC by this time next year but he's not at all convinced!

I have two wonderful DCs (DS, 18 years and DD 10 months), but now my body clock is ticking so loudly i'm going deaf so i think that's the major factor as to why i'm hankering after another DC (i'm 40).

You are not alone!

KatieDD Sun 19-Oct-08 22:19:48

Honestly I'm not sure it ever goes away but there does come a point where you really can't cope with another.
2 of my friends have had number 4 recently and neither are having any more, one of them could hardly afford 3 and 4, the other family could have 10 if they wanted, so just goes to show.
Despite all the practicalities I want number 4, just not sure if it'll happen

kiLLf Sun 19-Oct-08 22:29:35

Well, I felt like this last year... and he's just gone back to sleep after his dream feed hmm .

He's lovely - fantastic - loved by everyone . I'm one big ball of knackered .

But the real humdinger? I'm now desperately broody again -worse than before any of the other 3.

Last year someone on here gave me sound advice to wait until my hormones had settled from the last baby before committing to another one. I conceived this one within the month that I stopped bf Dc2 - ha ha. I'm going to tough it out this time - before I this babymaking waggon turns into a runaway train.

Itcanwait Sun 19-Oct-08 22:30:12

Guess I'll be at war with my maternal insticts for a few more years then(am 34)! I shall concentrate on being the best mum I can to my 2DC for now....

Itcanwait Sun 19-Oct-08 22:34:36

Oh yes-forgot to mention that DC2 is only 3 months!.......it MUST be my hormones!!

solo Sun 19-Oct-08 22:37:14

Broody mummy here too...I'm 44. I doubt I'll have a third, though it was always my dream to have 3 babies. Very sad really as I was only broody during my 20's up until I was 30 and I didn't get pg until I was nearly 32(mmc), then nothing ~ until now hmmHave a 10yo and Dd will be 2 in December. <sigh>

thatsnotmymonster Sun 19-Oct-08 22:42:29

I have 3- dd2 is 6mths. I always wanted 3 and after she was born I felt an immense satisfaction that I had never felt before. My family felt complete. I will always be a little bit broody but I am more relieved that I never have to be pg/give birth/ go through those first few sleepless months again (and I have easy pregnancies and births).

2 friends of mine have recently had no.4 and it seems very chaotic and a huge amount of work and organisation- even compared to 3!

cookiemonstress Mon 20-Oct-08 13:14:36

this could have been my post..

dd1 nearly 4, dd2 2 next week. Out of the blue, i'm becoming broody again. Not sure if it is the milestone of 2yrs with dd2 and the end of nappies, cots etc being in of sight.

The bonkers thing is that during second pregnancy, swore would never do it it again. Up until a few months ago, genuinely felt like I didn't want another and my family did feel complete with 2, so this is totally unexpected.

The thing is that I've deliberately not kept any baby things so I'm not tempted again (even took a downstairs stair gate off next week - the thought of replacing is though is as good as contraception!). We are starting to be able to look forward rather than just live the moment that having 2 little ones entails. If I had a third, I'd have to stop working, there would be no holidays, family less keen baby sit etc. there are so many reasons why 3 wouldn't work for us but it's not quashing the broodiness!

BananaSkin Mon 20-Oct-08 22:28:47

Having a third doesn't necessarily stop you being broody for a fourth I have just discovered. Mine was prompted because in order to take my son to A&E with a bad arm, we had to park in the maternity unit hospital. That was it - bang - broody as hell.

I hate being broody because I know I am too old for any more.

Cheesesarnie Mon 20-Oct-08 22:30:05

3 is lovely but if i could id have 4th.sadly cant.i think you could go on forever.

Plonker Mon 20-Oct-08 22:30:49

I have 3!! Its great grin

I want 4!! ... <sigh>

MrsStig Mon 20-Oct-08 22:31:18

There will always be room in my heart for another! (Sadly not my house or my car)

liahgen Mon 20-Oct-08 22:34:30

we are ttc#6, and am a bit worried the feeling of being complete that i tell dh will appear then, won't iykwim.

am soo looking forward to this one.

carmenelectra Mon 20-Oct-08 22:34:47

I am seriously hoping that the feeling does go away eventually as i am desperate for number 3.

i am going to start ttc for number 3 soon(Christmas!) cos i am certain i want another, but im hoping the feeling goes away after this.Does it ever?

Its mad cos i wa sure i only wanted 2 but im desperate for number three even more than i was for the first two

traceyinrosso Mon 20-Oct-08 22:39:28

I finally persuaded hubby to have no 3 after big gap of 7 years between no 2 and 3 - people thought we were mad my m in law was horrified ! (thought had "accident") but best thing ever done. We are struggling a bit financially as I have dropped down to only working 2 days a week but she is worth it and has brought so much joy to everyone. The good thing is it seems to got the broody thing out of my system - I think you reach point where you know your family is complete. I yearned for another baby until I had her - shes now 3 and half and I can safely say that I have finished with the baby thing and am now looking forward to her going to school next year and starting to get a bit of "me" back. If you can possibly manage it I would say go for it or wait another 6/12 months and see if you feel the same then. I felt same after 6 years so knew I really wanted another baby. Good luck

giantkatestacks Tue 21-Oct-08 13:16:08

oh god, I could have written this post - I have a 5 year old ds and a 6 month old dd and really would love a third but medically it would be really dangerous - I was hoping to read that the feeling went away but I guess I'll just have to find ways of coping with it.

I think its harder because 3 seems to have become quite a normal number to have - even though it puts so much more stress on your time/money/house etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now