Talk

Advanced search

Is a childs umbrella a crap present to give to a good friends DD for her 2nd Birthday??

(31 Posts)
Thankyouandgoodnight Sun 19-Oct-08 20:50:53

I am a disaster - presents that I think would be good, often leave the parents looking a bit confused when I give them! I always have a good careful think, come up with something and then for some reason, they end up being a bit cringy!

Anyway - I'd LIKE to get her a wooden tea set but we need to watch our pennies at the mo and at £23, it's not really an option as there are lots of birthdays close to christmas and it will all get a bit silly.

So - as her DD seems to go mad for my umbrella when she comes over, I thought I would buy her one. Incidently, she just uses mine to hang on her arm or bang on the floor hmm. What do you think?

janeite Sun 19-Oct-08 20:51:50

Yes - it's a good idea.

DevilishDisasterArea Sun 19-Oct-08 20:52:17

think it is a good idea. go for it. £23 rediculous price fior 2nd b-day pres.

AnotherFineMess Sun 19-Oct-08 20:52:57

My DD has loved her Noddy, then Fifi, now fairies umbrellas since that age. I think it's a great, thoughful and unusual present. And it doesn't clutter up the toybox.

RhinestoneCowghoul Sun 19-Oct-08 20:53:24

Have decided my limit is about a fiver for DS's toddler mates - umbrella sounds like a cool present for a 2-yr old to me!

onepieceoflollipop Sun 19-Oct-08 20:53:26

The dd would probably love it, but the mother might not thank you. (small girls and umbrellas = lethal imo) However if you buy a suitable child's version (Fifi or something) then imo it is not an odd present particularly.

We can all look out for a hmm thread in a few days "AIBU my friend thought it was a good idea to get my 2 year old dd an umberella!?" grin

onepieceoflollipop Sun 19-Oct-08 20:54:11

Also would echo what others have said - £5 is plenty I think £23 is far too much.

cat64 Sun 19-Oct-08 20:55:25

Message withdrawn

Aitch Sun 19-Oct-08 20:57:36

we have a fiver limit on kids pressies. brolly great.

onepieceoflollipop Sun 19-Oct-08 20:58:34

dd was given a brolly at either 2 or 3, can't remember. The mother can always put it away for a few months if she thinks the little girl is a bit young.

janeite Sun 19-Oct-08 20:58:59

Bubbles are ALWAYS a good idea!

EachPeachPearMum Sun 19-Oct-08 20:59:02

My 2.8 yo is desperate for an umbrella at the moment- because she has seen the clip of Gene Kelly in Singing in the Rain!
She keeps pretending various toys are 'umbrella's atm. grin
I think she may find one in her stocking on dec 25th...

There are however many many lovely books for that price!

DragonsEye Sun 19-Oct-08 20:59:25

ive just asked my SIL to get DD an umbrella for her 2nd b'day - lovely present imo!

Aitch Sun 19-Oct-08 20:59:58

dd deffo loved her brolly from 18mos. of course it does rain a lot here..

DoubleBluff Sun 19-Oct-08 21:01:03

I have often bought little brollies as presnets think it is nicer than toys

TheRedQueen Sun 19-Oct-08 21:01:17

Fab idea. We asked a friend for an umbrella for DD for her 2nd birthday and she adores it. Its handle looks like a frog.

I confess, however, to keeping it hidden away unless we are going out in the rain, since DD would gladly parade around the house with it the whole time, knocking things about as she goes!

twentypence Sun 19-Oct-08 21:02:16

If she likes yours and mum knows that she won't think it odd.

twinsetandpearls Sun 19-Oct-08 21:03:27

My dd loves her brolly that someone bought her, she practcally prays for rain.

Thankyouandgoodnight Sun 19-Oct-08 21:04:36

Frog one or red with white spots??

ScareyBitchFeast Sun 19-Oct-08 21:05:50

they love umbrellas - if you are not supersticious about it being up in the house - well her parents at least smile

nappyzonehasastroppytoddler Sun 19-Oct-08 21:09:19

we have both as dd umbrella obsessive - the red and white ladybird one is slightly favoured.

nooOOOoonki Sun 19-Oct-08 21:32:45

DS1 aged 3 asked me at bedtime if he could have an umbrella as he really wants to have one, and we asked he he could get one

when I said maybe he was so excited he jumped up and down

so there's xmas sorted!

hana Sun 19-Oct-08 21:34:21

my two year old would love an umbrella!

funnypeculiar Sun 19-Oct-08 21:40:21

dd (2.6) chose this an umbrella as her 'take home present' from legoland (I was feeling generous...)
She ADORES it, and uses it instead of a raincover in the buggy - ds was given one for his 3rd birthday, and also still loves his (now 4.5)
Fab present, imho!

solo Sun 19-Oct-08 22:22:34

I bought my friends grandson a brolly last Christmas. He was also a 2 yo. I did think it might be looked down on, but tbh, he was the only child I bought for outside of my family, so he was a lucky boy in a way...money is extremely tight.
A brolly is a good pressie for a 2 yo imo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now