Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Now the afternoons are darker...

(10 Posts)
FattipuffsandThinnifers Sun 19-Oct-08 15:47:34

Does anyone have any ideas on how to occupy/entertain a 17 month old from 4-6pm? DS has an early afternoon nap so we always have a couple of hours to kill before his dinner. Local park was my stand-by but once the clocks go back and it's dark by 5pm, what tf on earth can I do with him?

He's not quite ready for drawing/stickers etc yet.

Does anyone have any ideas please?

LuLuMacGloo Sun 19-Oct-08 15:53:34

I would be tempted to get the paints out even though he is young. Or you could restructure the routine and give him an early bath so that's all out of the way earlier? I had a book of things to do with toddlers once but have just given it away or you could have had it. It was all simple/cheap activities. I think it was called the toddlers 'busy book' or something like that. Could you find something similar to give you some ideas.

Trying to remember what I did with mine when they were that age - got a horrible feeling I plonked them in front of Cbeebies - or Baby Mozart when feeling virtuous....

FattipuffsandThinnifers Sun 19-Oct-08 16:28:45

Thanks Lulu, I'll have a look for that book or something similar. Am trying to resist the lure of Cbeebies as long as possible, though DS has now worked out how to switch the TV on...

kormAaaarrrggghhhchameleon Sun 19-Oct-08 16:31:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JackieNoHeadJustABloodyStump Sun 19-Oct-08 16:32:48

Once the Christmas decorations are up, you can go for a walk and ooh and aah at them grin. My two think it's very exciting and romantic to go for a bit of a walk in the dark/dusk. But you're right - probably not the parkgrin.

DoubleBluff Sun 19-Oct-08 16:33:15

cbeebies grin

The "Twilight Hour" is when DD and I do chores blush. She likes to help me empty the dishwasher and tumle drier and then sort the washing out to put into the machine for the next day. Sock sorting is her speciality grin She's usually still zoned out from sleep and doesn't have the energy for much else. We then go and do puzzles, which she could do for hours if left. It leads nicely into me having to go prepare dinner and leaving her to continue

FattipuffsandThinnifers Sun 19-Oct-08 18:58:18

Thanks everyone, some really useful suggestions. I've ordered the Busy Toddler book from amazon, it looks great. Thanks smile

bozza Sun 19-Oct-08 19:04:41

Garden centre to look at pets and Christmas decs.

MegBusset Sun 19-Oct-08 19:08:00

Library
Crate or drawer of safe kitchen implements to empty and play with
Wooden puzzles
Books
Cuddling with me on the sofa while I watch Deal Or No Deal blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now