Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else find it hard to play "children's" games?

(13 Posts)
MrsSnape Sun 19-Oct-08 15:07:25

SO ds2 set out all his playmobil last night and asked me to play with him.

He'd just been to a party so was already acting a bit silly so I told him I'd play with him tomorow (today).

So today I went in his room to play with him. He had the playmobil set out and he was sat on the floor...I sat down with him and asked what we were doing.

So he said:

"well, the robbers are about to escape from prison".

So I said "ok, who can I be?" and went to pick up one of the robbers only to be told that I wasn't allowed to touch them as they were not escaping 'yet'.

So I left it and asked what I should do and he said "we're waiting at the moment, its evening, we have to wait until night". So I said "ok"

So we're sat in silence on the bedroom floor. hmm after a bit I said "is it night yet?" so he said "not yet" so I said "well, I'm going to go and put the washing out, shout of me when it's night time..." so he went in a mood! He said "you never play with me!" so I replied "you're not doing anything! you're just sat there not moving!" so he said "it's not night time yet!!"

It ended with me saying:

"DS1, go and play playmobil with your brother!" blush

Feel a bit guilty now but I hate these boring kids games, very unmotherly I know. Anyone else hate them?

MrsBadger Sun 19-Oct-08 15:13:03

this is what siblings are for

Othersideofthechannel Sun 19-Oct-08 15:21:49

I don't like figuring type play either!

But I could play Connect Four or Old Maid and 'eat' plastic food endlessly.

Sometimes they just want company. Perhaps next time suggest reading your book/magazine alongside your child. Or suggest he comes with you to peg out the washingor whatever and then you can go back together to see if it is nighttime.

mummyloveslucy Sun 19-Oct-08 15:30:18

Whenever I play with my daughter, who's 3.5 she turns so bossy.
She barks orders at me and whines when I do somthing wrong. I assumed she was like this at nursery too, but the other day I spied on her playing with some other children and she's fantastic. She takes turns, shares and everyone seemed to be equel.
So why is she so bossy when I play with her?
She needs a sibling. grin

Acinonyx Sun 19-Oct-08 22:25:07

Oh my dd, 3.3 is so bossy too. I get everything 'wrong'. And some games just make my brain melt.

My personal favourite is colouring together while listening to radio 4. I can do that for quite a while. If I could only have a margherita too it would be heavenly.

But if I have to play 'birthday parties' once more my head will explode.

Tryharder Sun 19-Oct-08 22:31:25

My DS1 loves playing birthday parties too, Acinonynx. It just involves wearing a silly hat and singing happy b'day to a teddy bear so quite easy really. smile

MrsSnape Sun 19-Oct-08 22:45:29

Oh DS's games usually involve some poor playmobil man being shot or mauled by a playmobil lion.

Lovely child, my lad grin

Acinonyx Sun 19-Oct-08 22:48:01

Perhaps it's time the playmobil man had a birthday party wink

Tryharder Sun 19-Oct-08 23:10:57

I wish my DS1 would play with something like Playmobil. He was given a set for his b'day and isn't interested. He also never plays with cars.

He spends a large amount of time dancing to Madonna CDs, putting on 'shows' and drawing/painting. Most of his toys just lie around unplayed with cluttering the place up - a complete waste of money the lot of them! Even if you offer to play with them with him, he doesn't want to.

If it wasn't for the offchance that ds2 might play with them when he's older, I'd send the lot to the charity shop!

Acinonyx Sun 19-Oct-08 23:19:21

Tryharder - I'm so jealous! I was just complaining to dh that I'm sure dd isn't musical at all - and it's all his fault.

thejoyofpie Mon 20-Oct-08 08:22:00

It is boring, and they are bossy. My nearly 4 DS is very demanding. I told him I can't play with him if he says 'no' to all my suggestions. Now he says "play with me, I'll say 'yes'" so that can help. But generally I avoid playing imaginary games as much as possible, it is so totally tedious. Luckily he has a brother...

BlessThisMess Mon 20-Oct-08 23:15:48

Oh, I can't bear it either! Two mins is about my max attention span for 'pretending' games like that. Makes me want to run screaming from the room! And my almost 4yo is constantly asking me to play with her ATM, despite the presence of a 7yo sister.

annoyingdevil Tue 21-Oct-08 13:08:56

I'm afraid I'm not a very willing playdate for my children. I pretend to drink the odd cup of tea, but that's about it.

I take them to plenty of activities and that's enough as far as I'm concerned.

Previous generations didn't spend hours playing with their children!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now