Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

It's half term this week, we are not going anywhere...

(16 Posts)
Gobbledigook Sun 19-Oct-08 12:11:58

...we are staying at home adn I need to try and do bits of work at the same time (argh!).

Boys are 7.5, nearly 6, 4.

What things can I do to entertain them just in the house - stuff that costs nothing or little would be great.

Any ideas?

Nbg Sun 19-Oct-08 12:15:52

A huge roll of paper, draw round each of them, give them loads of scrap paper and they have to decorate themselves.
So drawing faces, making their clothes etc.
They can do bits on it everyday.

I remember doing this for someone I used to babysit for and he spent hours doing it.

childrenofthecornsilk Sun 19-Oct-08 12:20:19

When mine were younger they liked to make pretend shops with their teddies. I gave them pieces of paper and they wrote prices on and stuck them on, made a sign etc. Also drawing comps, I used to choose things like a pic of the zoo so I could tell them they needed to include loads of animals. Pound shop is good for cheap tat that keeps them amused for a bit.
I think you're near me. Have you tried the toy library at Coppice Avenue lib in Sale? They have boxes of toys you can borrow. Or they used to anyway.

Gobbledigook Sun 19-Oct-08 12:42:05

Ooh good ideas!

I wonder if I have a roll of wallpaper I could draw round them on...

They are quite into making models out of junk so will do that.

LIke the drawing competition too - will deffo do that. In fact I could also get them draw pics or write letters to their grandparents adn friends.

Not tried the toy library but they are not really into toys tbh. They like practical stuff, the playstation (which is fine but I don't want them on it all week), watching films (again, fine but not all day, every day).

They quite like imaginative play - making up games, but was wondering if there are things I can direct them on iyswim - like the drawing round them thing.

childrenofthecornsilk Sun 19-Oct-08 12:44:06

You can also hire cheap DVD's from the machine outside Tesco's in Alty!

Gobbledigook Sun 19-Oct-08 12:46:02

Really?! Oh might get dh to have a look there!

roisin Sun 19-Oct-08 12:48:44

Baking cakes/gingerbread men/whatever then decorating them

Are you into halloween? Black and orange paper/card/paint could keep them interested for a while?

At this age I always found a brief trip to the park/walk to the post office/co-op/whatever worked wonders as well.

If it doesn't scare you too much you could get them making cards and stuff for Christmas?!

You could get them to choose which DVDs they want to watch and get them to create a cinema for the week. 3pm showings every day (if they are good). They can make posters, tickets, programme schedule, price-list, pretend money, popcorn, etc!

...tbh I can't see how any of this will realistically enable you to get any work done though!

Gobbledigook Sun 19-Oct-08 12:51:23

Like cinema idea 3pm every day - that's a really good one and they have to 'earn' it <cackle!>

yes, tehy will def have to get out of the house at some point! THey will go crazy otherwise!

Crafty things are not really my bag unless I can just let them get on with it.

Blimey, I am rubbish mummy!

I prefer to take them out to places tbh but this week I just need to get things done unfortunately sad

Nbg Sun 19-Oct-08 12:54:29

You don't need to do anything.
They can all draw round each other.
Just give them the supplies and let them get on with it grin

PavlovtheWitchesCat Sun 19-Oct-08 12:56:41

Indoor camping - sofa cushions/blackets to make dens, curtains closed, torches on, maybe even a tape recording of some wildlife. Lunch/tea as a picnic in the camp.

Some of my older friends children (about this age) play camps for hours

childrenofthecornsilk Sun 19-Oct-08 12:57:23

You are not a rubbish mummy. I had to do the same thing over Summer hols as I had loads of work that I had to do. Do they have an older cousin that you could persuade to occupy them for an afternoon, while you lock yourself away?

Gobbledigook Sun 19-Oct-08 13:04:05

Oh an older cousin woudl be fab but they only have younger ones that live 250 miles away!

Camping is a brill idea - we have tons of camping stuff because we are campers grin
They could LOVE that actually - if I get the sleeping mats out, sleeping bags, torches etc. They ADORE picnic tea above all other meals so that woudl go down a storm grin

Gobbledigook Sun 19-Oct-08 13:05:37

Dh has got 2 days off so he can take them out.

Really I suppose it's Monday and Tues I need to deal wiht and I have some good ideas here - thanks so much guys.

Am lacking inspiration as work is mind-numbing (but necessary) today.

hatrick Sun 19-Oct-08 13:08:08

Message withdrawn

UnfortunatelyMurderedMe Sun 19-Oct-08 13:09:46

leaf hunt free and fun!

Gobbledigook Sun 19-Oct-08 13:12:05

Argos catalogue brill idea - just emailed dh at work to pick up 3 tomorrow grin

Leaf hunt is good although we've been doing that on the walk to school for the past week or so (teachers probably fed up with my children bringing in their findings grin)

Actually - that's made me think - our garden is literally a blanketof leaves - I could get them to collect them all and make pictures with them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now