Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Just how bad is it to cry in front of children?

(19 Posts)
sleepycat Thu 16-Oct-08 13:36:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Uriel Thu 16-Oct-08 13:39:30

Actually I think it's good that children see you cry sometimes. Shows you're human too and can be upset etc. Also shows them that it's ok to show their feelings.

LittleMyDancingWithTheDevil Thu 16-Oct-08 13:40:50

Poor you, sounds like you have a lot on your plate!

I don't think it does children any good to shield them too much. Sometimes, Mummy gets upset, and as long as you tell them that you're ok now and that it wasn't their fault, and reassure them lots, then I'm sure it won't do them any harm.

Of course if you're weeping every ten minutes, then maybe you need to find some help of some sort? Are you on your own with them?

notnowbernard Thu 16-Oct-08 13:41:03

Agree with Uriel

Sorry you're feeling crap

I've cried for those reasons in front of mine, too

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Thu 16-Oct-08 13:41:30

I cry in front of my dds sometimes, dd2 is too young to know dd1 gets all concerned and gives me teddies and hugs. I think it helps them learn empathy.

Nagapie Thu 16-Oct-08 13:44:17

If you laugh in front of your kids would you ask MN jury if that is okay?

Sorry you are having such a bad time ...

sleepycat Thu 16-Oct-08 13:45:37

Kathyis6incheshigh Thu 16-Oct-08 13:46:10

My ds looks all embarrassed and looks the other way - he's 20 months and already acting like a man, FGS!

LittleMyDancingWithTheDevil Thu 16-Oct-08 13:52:35

That does sound tough, no wonder you blub occasionally! I've done it a couple of times, and DS was most sympathetic and stroked my head which was lovely.

sleepycat Thu 16-Oct-08 13:55:19

potoftea Thu 16-Oct-08 13:57:44

You sound really hard on yourself. Seeing you cry is good for the children. It's teaching them an appropiate way to handle it when you feel sad or upset, and then how to get on with things later.

You have your hands full, and things are tough for you now. Obviously they will get better as the children get older. But in the meantime remember what a fantastic job you are doing. If your dc know that you love them forever and ever, and they have a secure home and family, well then you are doing a great job. Be kinder to yourself.

pagwatch Thu 16-Oct-08 13:59:39

you are a parent, not a machine.
It really does not hurt children to occasionally see vividly that mum is actually human.
It is helpful for them with their own emotions and starting to respect yours.
Don't worry about it.
many of us have done it to no ill effect

Katw3kitts Thu 16-Oct-08 14:00:34

There are far worse things to do in front of a child.

Showing natural emotions are part and parcel of life.

Sorry you feel like things are tough at the moment

Liffey Thu 16-Oct-08 14:02:48

I agree with Uriel. Shows them you're human. I have done it. Occassionally, and for good reason. I've always got it together quite quickly. And on the whole I am a strong person, so I hope that they won't be damaged by having seen me cry for a few moments every now and then.

DrNortherner Thu 16-Oct-08 14:03:44

I remember seeing my Mum cry as a kid.

Never saw my Dad cry though......

shootfromthehip Thu 16-Oct-08 14:11:12

I think NOT crying is much weirder than crying. I cry in front of my 2 (even though DS just laughs) and sometimes it's good crying and sometimes it's bad crying. Can't do any harm unless you are bursting into floods all the time.

HeyJude07 Thu 16-Oct-08 15:04:10

I think it is good to cry in front of your dcs, like other posters have said it teaches them empathy.

My lovely ds gives me a hug when I cry in front of him, and he's not even two, bless him.

PinkTulips Thu 16-Oct-08 15:12:53

i quite often break down in front of mine... like earlier when they were both screaming and my back locked up trying to sort the heaps of washing.

mine don't even notice hmm

Claire236 Fri 17-Oct-08 08:22:01

I cry in front of ds sometimes. He gives me a kiss to make it all better & tells me he wants to see my happy face. My mum always acted like everything was perfect when we were children which makes reality a bit of a shock.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now