Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

which is more nutritious for 2 boys aged 5 and 2?

(10 Posts)
SmugColditz Mon 13-Oct-08 08:02:01

Peanut butter and jam sandwiches (bread varies) or Cheerios with milk?

Twelvelegs Mon 13-Oct-08 08:03:55

Depends how much they eat!!! Wholemeal bread it could be a tie?

SmugColditz Mon 13-Oct-08 08:06:33

Cheerios 1 bowl. The bread is sometimes wholemeal but it gives the youngest diarrhoea so I try to avoidd it. Sandwiches are 2 slices of bread each, thick PB and splot of jam.

Twelvelegs Mon 13-Oct-08 09:57:02

Perhaps solve by switching to a better cereal???

Fillyjonk Mon 13-Oct-08 09:59:06

lol I read that as "which is more nutritious, boys aged 5 or 2"

Take the jam out and use decent bread and I'd go for the peanut butter

JoyS Mon 13-Oct-08 11:01:04

I'd say PB & J every time. Good combo of protein and carbs. You could swap the jam for bananas if you're worried about sugar but I don't think a little jam ever hurt anyone.

SmugColditz Mon 13-Oct-08 12:16:15

They won't eat better cereal. Higher fibre cereal triggers diarrhoea in all three of us, and it's hard, actually, to find an unsweetened low fibre cereal bar rice crispies which I really do think are shite!

Saying that, they actually got cheese and cucumber butties this morning because they've scarfed a jar of PB in 4 days.

Twelvelegs Mon 13-Oct-08 12:21:52

Good gracious..just give them what they'll eat and worry about other meals for nutrician, what about fruit and yoghurt in the morning or porridge?

SmugColditz Mon 13-Oct-08 12:41:59

Oh I'm not worried, not remotely. I was just trying to settle an argument with someone who says they should be made to eat cereal.

Neither of them are big fruit eaters, and porridge rapidly becomes an accessory.

Twelvelegs Mon 13-Oct-08 13:01:45

Made to eat cereal hmm, yes that always works making a child eat it!!
I am a fan of cereal and porridge as it's less fuss, but I'm a lazy cow! My DH would give my children a banquet of waffles, croisants, cereal, fruit and yoghurt and I would have to see if there's a market for pregnant prostitutes to afford such a feast!!
I would think, especially if fibre is a concern, you are right to give bread/toast.
Actually I would think as their mother you can give your kids a hot dog and a fruit shoot for breakfast if you so desire!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: