Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

On scale of 1 - 10, how tired are you?!

(58 Posts)
beakysmum Sun 12-Oct-08 20:50:50

I have ds (3yr8) and dd (14m) and where 0 is raring to go and 10 is nearly sleep walking, I must be about a 9 on the tiredness scale most days.

Is this normal?! I work 2 full day per week, love my kids, they are not unduly difficult and I sleep about 7- 8 hours most nights. But I could just lie down in the aisle in Tesco sometimes and go to sleep I feel so exhausted! And most days at home I do fall asleep on the bed for an hour after lunch. I am considering being tested for ME or glandular fever or something.

Kathyis6incheshigh Sun 12-Oct-08 20:53:39

I don't think it's quite normal - I have 2 with an 18 month age gap and even when ds was not sleeping I wouldn't have described myself as a 9 most of the time. It does sound to me like a good idea to go to the doc, though I can imagine them saying 'you've got 2 under 4, what do you expect?'

Do you eat healthily? Who does all the housework etc in your house?

googgly Sun 12-Oct-08 21:08:34

I'm the same. I got tested for everything and it turns out I'm in perfect health. Doesn't feel like it though!

bythepowerofgreyskull Sun 12-Oct-08 21:10:16

I think that my "normal" is now about a 6 on the tiredness scale. it takes very little to get me to the point of needing to sleep or I will collapse or cry or both.

girlandboy Sun 12-Oct-08 21:16:07

About a 7.5 most of the time.

Dd is aged 13
Ds is aged 8

I can remember the days when I would read in bed for an hour at bedtime. Can't even manage 5 mins now before my eyes droop.

Could easily manage a couple of hours snooze in the afternoons if I had the time!

Just seem tired all the time, though apparently I'm healthy and normal!hmm

MerlinsBeard Sun 12-Oct-08 21:17:20

today? about 25

georgimama Sun 12-Oct-08 21:18:27

I work FT, DS is 19 months and not a fabulous sleeper. Have just changed jobs from scary corporate firm to much smaller country town firm. Gone from about 7 on tiredness scale to about 4. Nothing has changed or improved apart from work. It was just taking so much out of me.

beforesunrise Sun 12-Oct-08 21:20:43

normally i am 7-8. i have had several 10 days recently though... dd1 2y9m, dd2 5m, neither sleeps through...

georgimama Sun 12-Oct-08 21:22:53

I don't think that sounds normal, re-reading OP, could you be anaemic? I think a trip to the GP, and being insistent about blood tests, is in order. Exaggerate if necessary.

hellymelly Sun 12-Oct-08 21:31:47

Oh lordy a 9.5? (DD of 3.9 and dd of 17m)last night DD2 woke 4 times and that is not unusual,I have not had an unbroken night for years and I have the brain of a slug.

hellymelly Sun 12-Oct-08 21:34:04

And my iron is really high and my thyroid is fine,its just the waking 3-6 times a night,every night,its knackering!

georgimama Sun 12-Oct-08 21:39:04

That sounds hellish helly, no wonder you're knackered, but OP is getting 8 hours shut eye per night and is still hanging. That can't be right.

mumof2andabit Sun 12-Oct-08 21:54:43

ds 2.6, dd 6months & 7 weeks pregnant (I kno I kno I'm mad) I'd say about a 13 most days to the extent off falling asleep watching morning beebies!!!! Dreading work tomorro evening keep trying to convince dh that now he's working I don't have to hehehehe

whomovedmychocolate Sun 12-Oct-08 21:56:33

Actually I'd say about a 5 - I have a 2 yr old and a 12 week old. I think I've actually got used to having continually interrupted sleep and only getting about four hours in total in 24. Which is quite worrying really.

georgimama Sun 12-Oct-08 22:07:37

They'll grow up and leave home eventually, whomovedmychocolate, truly they will.

whomovedmychocolate Sun 12-Oct-08 22:10:43

Oh I know. We got to a point about six months ago with DD when I was getting six hours sleep a night shock. Of course then I had another baby and we were back to square one (except worse because DD had her nose out of joint and so kicked off every night for a while) hmm

Pria Sun 12-Oct-08 22:11:09

Definately worth getting checked out if this tired all the time. Mine ranges from about a 4 on weekends up to 10 on working days, I have two DD 1, 14 & 2 DS 4, 11, prehaps that explains it!

unknownrebelbang Sun 12-Oct-08 22:14:26

Get it checked out. I've been fairly tired for a while, but put it down to having three lads, working, other commitments blah blah blah. Turns out I've got diabetes (and I only went to the GP with an ear infection, ffs, but because I hadn't been for a while he checked me over and sent me for bloods).

Could of course be nothing, but do get it checked out.

unknownrebelbang Sun 12-Oct-08 22:14:59

And tbh, I wouldn't have said I was that tired iykwim.

Flightofthenortybats Sun 12-Oct-08 22:17:02

Tonight....about 300, zillion out of ten grin

But usually not that bad

I think you sound overtired, might be low on iron?

Actually lately I've been about a constant 10 usually I would say a 6. I'm my own worse enemy though. I'm still getting up to dd2 several times a night and then getting up with both of them before 7am everyday yet I'm on here till gone 1am every night. hmm

Acinonyx Sun 12-Oct-08 22:22:51

I'm the same and I don't think it's normal. But I've been like this to varying degrees all my life and went through some tests at one point. I take an iron tonic that helps a bit but I'm sure it just can't be normal to be so tired. I have just one dd and I'm also a postgrad student. But I swear I seem to need about 10 hours sleep/day and i regularly get 8.

I get royally fed up with it - I know exactly what you mean about just wanting to lie down at any minute and go to sleep. Maybe I should have another round of tests - maybe we both should!

beakysmum Sun 12-Oct-08 22:27:27

Wow, so many posts! Must have touched a nervesmile Thank you all.

I had blood tests in April, all came back fine, but if anything I'm feeling worse since then. When I think I used to run half marathons, how I feel now is pathetic. I used to love reading too, but any chance I get to read now, I just prefer to have the chance to sit quietly and think!!!

I did go back to work in August, which I don't think is helping, but I didn't feel great before that.

As for house work, I do have a cleaner for the grand sum of 1 1/2 hours per week just to hoover through, clean bathroom etc. Husband does help e.g he puts children to be while I cook dinner or vice versa, but to be honest I still seem to be doing the things that a Mum does through the evening while he watches TV.

I think broken nights are to do with it as well, I would say most of my nights are broken, not least by DH who seems to have to wee in the night (yes, he has been tested at my insistance and nothing found). I often sleep in spare bed in DS room, but he or DD might still wake me....

so.... diabetes, anaemia, thyroid, depression...?

georgimama Sun 12-Oct-08 22:36:52

No beaky, sounds like you're just a mum. Sorry. This too shall pass away.

Acinonyx Sun 12-Oct-08 22:39:32

My nights are broken by dh getting up, usually twice, and snoring. I have started going to the spare room too.

Stress and depression definitley increase tiredness. Did they check your thyroid and diabtetes? I had my thyroid tests many years ago but I have sometimes wondered about diabetes. I'd almost be glad to find some reason so I could do something to make it go away.

It comes and goes a bit and sometimes over the counter tonics etc help, also cut out/down caffeine. I take Calms now to try and sleep better and I think that has been helping.

It's weird how some people just seem to have so much more energy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now