Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Suitable gift for new baby?

(24 Posts)
Suerock Fri 10-Oct-08 18:34:46

When my friends and relatives produce a baby, I knit the child a cardigan as a gift. I try to make them practical and of a size/design that I think the parents will like.

BUT! I'm not a mother and don't know whether this is really suitable, so please be honest with me. Would YOU like to receive a hand-knitted cardigan as a gift for your new baby, or would you rather have a bought item of clothing? A toy? A gift voucher? Something for yourself? Anything else?

Any comments gratefully received as I don't want to inflict hand knits on people who would really rather have something else...

midnightexpress Fri 10-Oct-08 18:46:34

Personally, I love hand-knitted things, but tbh I think you might find a division of opinion on this. It really depends on the recipient I think.

One thing that is a good idea is to make anything in a few sizes bigger than newborn (say 3-6 months or 6-12 months). They grow sooooo quickly in the first few months that often you don't have time to dress them in all the things that they've been given. When someone has spent so much time making something lovely it's a shame if the baby doesn't get much chance to wear it.

midnightexpress Fri 10-Oct-08 18:48:11

Oh, and if you are ever looking for something to buy, I think these are an absolutely gorgeous gift.

BuwchBywiog Fri 10-Oct-08 18:50:12

My mum knits loads of the things for my DC's I think they look really great on babies you can get so many lovely patterns these days. I know some people would never put them anywhere near their little uns though so I guess it really does depend on the recipient.

Also think a small token for Mum is such a lovely gesture, so few people do it and many mothers of newborns feel so fragile after birth that even a bar of choccie can go a long way ...

Alieight Fri 10-Oct-08 18:53:36

I do love hand-knitted things, but agree with midnight express that making something in a few sizes bigger than newborn is a very good idea *looks sadly at all the cute 0-3 month clothes 9 week old DS has grown out of before he got a chance to wear them*.

One thing that me my partner REALLY appreciated, as the baby and I were inundated with presents, were a few things people got for him - something indulgent that when everything got stressful he could enjoy...and that didn't leave him out of the whole present receiving bonanza - he got a few very nice bottles of whisky which smoothed out some edges!

notsoteenagemum Fri 10-Oct-08 18:59:59

I love knitted things on tiny babies but they can be a pain to wash, I had a lovely hand knitted blanket which was a bit more practical.

Suerock Fri 10-Oct-08 19:02:50

I'm glad you've mentioned knitting clothes a bit bigger as I usually aim for about a 6 month size!

Thanks for the tips about gifts for mum and dad - I'll remember that one. What sort of things would be appreciated other than chocolate and alcohol?

WaynettaSlob Fri 10-Oct-08 19:07:00

I am always scared of hand knitted things - I am too busy/lazy to handwash, and afraid to put them in the machine, which means they never get worn blush. I have recently received two gorgeous jumpers for DS3 and neither has been worn, nor or they likely to be unless someone can persuade me they won't come out Barbie sized if I put them in the machine!

singingtree Fri 10-Oct-08 19:15:08

You can machine wash modern yarns - we've got tons of knitted stuff from both my mum and mil, they all go through the machine fine. I love them

LullabyCuddles Fri 10-Oct-08 19:18:25

I can see both sides why some would prefer hand knitted and other wouldnt.
I make comfort blankets and sell them but im not going to go into detail on here as i dont think im allowed to but if anyone is interested feel free to message me i can go into more detail then. anyway as i was saying si have many people purchase from me to give as a gift for their friends or relatives newborn. xxx

lazyhen Fri 10-Oct-08 19:25:41

I had some lovely handknitted stuff for DD but completely agree with a larger size.

I never used anything that was knitted for her feet - at that age she was just in babygros most of the time.

Suerock Fri 10-Oct-08 19:25:51

All the stuff I make should be machine washable as it's acrylic (and I sew all the ends in securely) - and I try and remember to tell the recipient this so they don't have the faff of handwashing.

lauraloola Sat 11-Oct-08 11:28:16

My mum and sister started knitting when I was pregnant and I was a bit shocked as I didnt know people still did that and was worried about how the clothes would look!

Turns out I love them all! Hand knitted cardis are so much warmer then ones you buy which is perfect for babies.

I machine wash them all on a 40 wash and they are always fine!! I dont tumble dry them but they dry very quickly.

I think its really nice that you take the time to make the gifts for your friends x

Lubyloo Sat 11-Oct-08 11:34:40

I love getting hand knitted clothes. I think they mean so much more than an item just bought from a shop. I even love the things DD has been given by a friend who has more enthusiasm than skill as I really appreciate the effort that has gone into them. smile

arabicabean Sat 11-Oct-08 22:17:04

I also love hand knitted clothes. I'm still waiting for my MIL to finish the leggings she started when my baby was born. He is 8 months old now, she'll need more wool!

I think it is extra nice if the wool is special. I had some exquisite pieces knitted in Alpaca. The person who knitted these kept her own breed of Alpaca and the wool was spun locally. One of my more unusual finds on the internet.

elkiedee Sat 11-Oct-08 22:37:14

You sound like a lovely friend to have suerock. Knitting something for bigger than newborn sounds like a good idea, or a blanket will be useful for a bit longer.

sannie Sun 12-Oct-08 09:41:33

hand knitted clothes are a great gift...we had some cardis when ds1 was born...it shows that you have really thought about the person/baby...

when ds1 was born it was Easter and every baby on the ward received some hand knitted booties from the sister...we still have some cute green ones

SquiffyHock Sun 12-Oct-08 09:46:21

An elderly friend of my Mum has made a crocheted blanket for both of mine and they and I love them!! As they are white I have used them for their baptisms so they are really special.

I think it's lovely that you take the time to knit for your friends. As for the parents, a sincere offer of a few hours babysitting is always nice!

midnightexpress Sun 12-Oct-08 15:51:56

re presents for the mum/dad, I had a lovely present when ds2 was born of (big) bar of choc, lovely shower stuff, herbal tea (fennel I think, supposedly good for milk production), and coffee beans for dp (caffeine-head). It was so nice to get a treat for myself when I was recovering from the birth.

Suerock Fri 17-Oct-08 22:45:13

Thanks for all your lovely comments - I feel more reassured that new mums are not opening parcels and saying "Oh no, not another horrible handknitted cardigan from Suerock"

MakemineaGandT Fri 17-Oct-08 22:46:49

I love handknitted things, esp in size 3-6 months.

feeble Fri 17-Oct-08 22:53:16

A friend of mine handknitted me blankets for my little ones. They were great to wrap them in as they were really stretchy and younger one still has his as a comforter.

bikerunski Sat 18-Oct-08 13:20:32

I love hand knitted stuff and was really pelased when we got soem for DS when he was born. He is only 6 weeks old, so agian I am glad that someone had teh foresight to give us stuff big enough for him to grow into. We got a "bundle" of 4 cardies in ever increasing sizes and variations on pale blue!

As I am totally cack handed with crafty things, I often get my friends' babies a "name train", which seem to go down well. I would like one for my DS!.
name train

superloopy Sat 18-Oct-08 13:45:15

I got loads of hand knitted cardigans, hats, booties and a blanket when DD and DS were born. DHs nan is a knitaholic!! They were all lovely but were newborn size and both were born in summer - DS in an Australian summer!!

Can I suggest you work out how old the baby will be when the weather is cool/cold and knit that size. I hope this makes sense! Then your lovely knits will get the most wear.

The item I have had the best use out of was the knitted blanket - DS 10mo loves it! He snuggles up in it, rubs it on his face and plays peek-a-boo with it! The hats were great too until he learned how to pull them off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now