Talk

Advanced search

I know this is a extreme idea but.....

(20 Posts)
LuckySalem Thu 09-Oct-08 19:41:34

I'm having trouble with DD and vaguely remember a programme on parenting where they had the "routine" mum. So my question is... DD is NOT being good at the mo with sleeping.

If I set some SET sleeptimes and put her in the cot at those times to go to sleep. Going in now and then to calm her and put her back down would this help at all?

Like at 4pm its naptime so I put her in there and don't go back till 5:30 when its acceptable to get up? (apart from shhhhing her etc)

RubySlippers Thu 09-Oct-08 19:42:41

won't work and it will stress you both out

how old is she?

Overmydeadbody Thu 09-Oct-08 19:42:41

how old is she?

Overmydeadbody Thu 09-Oct-08 19:43:17

maybe she's not tired at 4pm?

LuckySalem Thu 09-Oct-08 19:43:29

9mo...

I honestly didn't think it would work but there must be something.

artichokes Thu 09-Oct-08 19:43:45

How old is your DD and how is she likely to react.

Even as a small baby by DD would have gone balistic if I tried that. She would have screamed full pelt from 4pm to 5.30pm and made her self vomit with upset. No shushing and patting would have helped.

Only you can judge whether your DD would react well. I know some babies grizzle on and off when left to sleep but never really scream.

LuckySalem Thu 09-Oct-08 19:44:19

She's waking up upto 3 times during the night for no other reason than to scream it seems.
She sleeps from 10 - 11:30 in the morning but no other time....

here

LurkerOfTheUniverse Thu 09-Oct-08 19:44:57

ime, it is very stressful trying to get a baby to sleep at a time you decide

she will sleep when/if she's tired

nickytwoooohtimes Thu 09-Oct-08 19:45:12

Pop her down when she seems like she is getting tired. I wouldn't leave her for that long tbh. If she is doing that tired whine, then fair enough, but I wouldn't do it to the clock.

RubySlippers Thu 09-Oct-08 19:45:31

learn her sleep cues

do a feed and sleep diary and see if anything emerges after 3 or so days and then using her sleep cues put her down for a nap

at this age, getting grizzly, rubbing eyes and pulling ears or nuzzling into you can all be signs of tiredness as well as yawns

Twelvelegs Thu 09-Oct-08 19:45:58

4pm is an odd nap time. I would set sleep times that are good for you. So maybe 9ish am and 2/3 ish pm.... only if she tired though. My first 2 dcs would have an 11am sleep for about 2.5 hours and no more at this age. But they were in bed from 6.30pm.

LuckySalem Thu 09-Oct-08 19:51:28

Maybe 8pm bedtime is just too much for her then......

I've tried to see her sleep cues and in the mornings it works a treat but the same cues are shown at around 4:30 - 5pm each day, I lay her down and she starts screaming which then wakes her up and she gets worse and worse.

Twelvelegs Thu 09-Oct-08 19:55:52

Perhaps ensure she has fresh air just after lunch and then put her down earlier. Whjat time are other sleeps?

Twelvelegs Thu 09-Oct-08 19:56:38

or could you hang on and put her to bed at six?

LuckySalem Thu 09-Oct-08 19:57:43

We don't always go out but on the days we go out it doesn't seem to make much of a difference to her sleeping so I didn't see the point in trying each day... esp as there isn't anywhere nice to walk around here!! lol

The other sleep is 10 - 11:30-am.

Twelvelegs Thu 09-Oct-08 19:59:34

Well maybe just the one then.... stretch to 10.30-12 and then earlier bed?

LuckySalem Thu 09-Oct-08 20:01:25

I'll see what I can do.. problem is we're going away for 2 days tomorrow so I'm scared of how she's gonna react there... paperthin walls and all...

I'll try to get her to sleep longer in the mornings and earlier in the evenings though. Anything at the mo I will try.

JamInMyWellies Thu 09-Oct-08 20:04:51

WHy dont you try to stretch her morning nap and then give her tea at 4.30 start the bedtime routine earlier and put her to bed at night time at 6.30 we did this for DS as he was getting overtired and found it made a huge difference if we just started the bedtime routine earlier.

LuckySalem Thu 09-Oct-08 20:07:17

I'm gonna try it when we get home.. I think while we're away I'll stick to the tried and tested thing of putting her in the car for an hour in afternoon for those 2 days... then when we get home, She will wink sleep in the afternoon or sleep longer in the morning and she will wink sleep all night.

BTW, while i'm on it - what do you all do if they wake in the night?

blissieblue Thu 09-Oct-08 20:12:21

having a routine at 9 mo is not an extreme idea but it should be a routine that fits in with your DD and is based on how she is through the day, not a routine lifted from a book. I struggled to get DS1 in to a set routine as a baby. With DS2 I went with the flow a lot more - just did whatever worked to get us through the day and he sort of fell in to his own routine in the end.
Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now