Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

How long can BF babies go between feeds at 6wks, and when is too soon to start trying to edge them into sleeping longer at night?

(6 Posts)
bohemianbint Thu 09-Oct-08 18:43:25

Am supposed to be a BF counsellor but I can't remember and you sometimes can't see the wood for the trees when it's yourself!

6wk old DS has been asleep for 4 hours, and I'm not sure whether to wake him up in case he's starving!

Also, he's had a few days now where he's slept for a long time in the afternoon, and been up from about 8pm-1am, which is a bit of a killer to be honest.

Do you think it's too soon to start trying to keep him awake longer in the day with the aim of getting him to sleep more at night? I'm just been led by him so far, feeding on demand and letting him sleep how he likes, but am wondering if I can start edging him towards observing slightly more sociable hours yet?

anyfucker Thu 09-Oct-08 19:49:20

I would say a bit too young

Leave it a few weeks

Seona1973 Thu 09-Oct-08 19:51:04

my ds was bottlefed but I still didnt let him go more than about 3 hours between feeds during the day so I would have woken your lo in your situation.

pudding25 Thu 09-Oct-08 23:33:16

I would feed every 3 hrs during the day to tank them up as much as possible so they are not as hungry at night and hopefully sleep a bit longer.
If baby is putting on weight well, I would let them wake to feed during the night rather than waking them after 3 hrs.

LackaDAISYcal Thu 09-Oct-08 23:48:37

I think too soon; at six weeks DD and Iwere still getting BFing established and she was very much feeding on demand.

And then there was that six week growth spurt of evening cluster feeding as well.
four hours is a bit long though and although I'm a BFC in training, but I don't know enough yet to know whether you should be waking him at this age or not.

sorry, that probably isn't a great deal of help blush

bohemianbint Fri 10-Oct-08 08:37:46

thanks everyone. He woke up after 4 hours and dozed on and off all evening until 3am, when he decided to start the day. hmm

He's putting on weight brilliantly so I've always just left him to sleep as he wanted - it's only started getting that bit longer in recent days. Hmmm...maybe I'll hang fire for a while yet and see how it goes. Although much more sleep deprivation may kill me...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: