Talk

Advanced search

What do you do when your toddler lies down on the pavement?

(19 Posts)
toddlerhip Wed 08-Oct-08 18:32:19

Not having a tantrum necessarily, but just tired / obstinate and refusing to get up. I waited & cajoled before reluctantly putting him under my arm like a sack of potatoes with 3 bags of shoppping in the other arm & marching home. Wasn't far but did not have buggy. I wasn't best pleased as i'm pg and having trouble lifting...

thesockmonsterofdoom Wed 08-Oct-08 18:33:23

generally tell them that there is a big dof coming and it might be preferable to get up.

2point4kids Wed 08-Oct-08 18:33:57

If I dont have the buggy I do the same as you!
I generally have the baby in a sling as well so its never a pretty sight with me lugging the two of them and the toddler screaming!

2point4kids Wed 08-Oct-08 18:34:16

whats a dof?

thesockmonsterofdoom Wed 08-Oct-08 18:46:43

that would be dog clearly. I really should check my typing. blush

CarGirl Wed 08-Oct-08 18:48:11

I never left home without a buggy, it was the best threat ever plus didn't have to carry the shopping.

JacobsPrincessOfDarkness Wed 08-Oct-08 18:49:53

Leave my ds and tell him I'm going home whether he wants to come or not. He soon picks his skinny little arse up off the pavement.

Or, lug him home like a sack of potatoes, a la OP!

beansmum Wed 08-Oct-08 18:50:44

I used to just wait. and wait. and wait. eventually he would give in. Somebody stopped their car to see if he was ok once. very embarrassing.

purpleturtle Wed 08-Oct-08 18:50:49

I walk away (not far) and that usually works.

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Wed 08-Oct-08 18:51:07

Depends on the age but I have carried a child under my arm.

I wouldn't threaten a dog coming and I wouldn't walk off and leave them. Too easy for them to walk into the road.

MrsMattie Wed 08-Oct-08 18:52:46

I used to pick him up (with great difficulty) and strap him forcibly into his buggy, no matter what sort of awful scene it made.

Then he stopped using a buggy (dammit! grin), so I would pick him up under my arm and carry him off, telling him very firmly that he was being very silly and praying that he would snap out of it and want to walk by himself within a few seconds (usually worked...)

Now he is too big to pick up and carry easily (plus I', hevaily pregnant). the tantrums are few and far between, but horrific when they do occur. I just walk away and leave him. i say 'I'm going now. Bye'. Works beautifully. He gets up and runs after me straight away, and will continue to whinge, but stops the ridiculous tantrumming.

francagoestohollywood Wed 08-Oct-08 18:59:50

I second the baguette manouvre.

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Wed 08-Oct-08 19:01:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SmugColditz Wed 08-Oct-08 19:02:22

Pick them up and put them in the pushchair

SmugColditz Wed 08-Oct-08 19:02:50

Oh you didn't have the pushchair.

There's your answer then

AttillaTheHan Wed 08-Oct-08 19:05:14

I would first of all try to distract by 'lets see who can hop the furthest/ jump the highest/ have a race home' etc etc. Then with ds on the numerous times he did this I would then say I will count to five. If I get to 5 and you are not walking I will make you get up because we need to get home. Usually he would get up by 4 but if not then on 5 I would pick him up like a sack of spuds.

AccidentalMum Wed 08-Oct-08 19:05:40

Was once stuck out for 90mins until DH came to get me (I had DD2 in sling and bike in tow). Roads too busy to walk away, stupid stubborn self wouldn't let me bribe her. Never left without a buggy or sling again.

LadyOfWaffle Wed 08-Oct-08 19:08:49

Baguette carry. If I walk he screams. Pshchair hasn't been used for about a year, he would prob. throw himself out.

toddlerhip Thu 09-Oct-08 15:05:30

We were late for nursery hence shops - nursery - home (only 200yds away...still).

Dog coming doesn't work (in our case it's an enticement, not a threat). "Bye" and walk off (if not near road) doesn't work. Buggy threat doesn't work. Do not have time / patience for eternal waiting though suspect it might work eventually. Baguette carry only in extremis. Think only option is to be surgically attached to the buggy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now