Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

help been snooping!

(9 Posts)
cheeryface Tue 07-Oct-08 22:51:24

ds (12) was meant to be lights out sleeping, i go in room and he's messing around with ipod touch under covers kinda style.
so, i confiscate and tell him to get to sleep. i decide to have a nosey and see from his emails that he has signed himself up to something called 'bebo'
i am assuming its something like facebook which i am on. but, i dont think its something that is suitable for a 12 year old is it?

please inform me before io confront in the morning!! thanx smile

moodlumthehoodlum Tue 07-Oct-08 22:53:38

You're right - Bebo is exactly like facebook, but having never been on it, I couldn't tell you whether its suitable for a 12 yo.

DraculaNeedsArteries Tue 07-Oct-08 22:54:44

bebo is similar to facebook & myspace - yes.

Suitability - dunno. Is facebook not suitable? <genuine question not a statement BTW as I am clueless with these social things>

NotAnOtter Tue 07-Oct-08 22:55:09

bebo is imo the devils work

mostly girls go on it and they all look lets just say on the tarty side

or maybe thats just dd's friends

i ban it MANY other parents do not!

SuperPsychoTrollSlayer Tue 07-Oct-08 22:55:46

bebo is fairly safe, providing he has signed up and is staying private and only accepts his mates onto it.

My DD1 and 2 go on there, and they have privacy settings...I am quite ok about it, (they are 14 and 12), I check on them every so often over their shoulders just to check up on them.

they did however have a friend who had no privacy setting and was posting pics of hrself on the net, so it can be quite worrying.

HTH

SoMuchToBits Tue 07-Oct-08 22:55:58

AFAIK it's something that is mostly used by teenager type people, including from about age 12 upwards.

I don't think it's necessarily bad in itself, but you might want to know who (on Bebo) your ds is "talking" to.

Merrylegs Tue 07-Oct-08 23:28:57

Bebo is like facebook for pre-teens and teens. If you looked at some of the stuff posted you might be a bit hmm, but it is just the way kids talk to each other anyway. As long as he keeps his password and profile private - ie only accessible to his friends, it's not much different to msn-ing or facebooking. My kids (13) and (11) have it but don't use it that much. However I know their passwords and can check for any unsuitable emails etc. I wouldn't be impressed if they were doing it in secret though. Does he know you perhaps wouldn't approve?

cheeryface Wed 08-Oct-08 20:19:50

unfortuatly since strating high school hes gone all coy about any girls he might talk to and really anything teenagerish! i dont really know why as i am reasonable ( i think)
although, he may have thought i wouldnt approve of bebo.
i have asked him to show me his page on there, to tell me his password. i explained that i just wanted to make sure everything was safe for him.
i will decide whether he can keep it when i see it.

i do feel really sad though that he doesnt tell me anything. when i read messages that he has sent to girls on his phone, it was like someone i didnt know had sent them! talk about leading a double life!

i worry about him, not socializing with anyone out of school, has always been that way. so, i dont want to be to hasty over the bebo thing.

coochybottom Wed 08-Oct-08 22:15:58

Mums net for teenagers I'm afraid! smileMy teenage sons always on the thing! I think that what they do nowadays.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now