Talk

Advanced search

Feeling a bit sorry for DS

(14 Posts)
MrsSnape Fri 03-Oct-08 18:16:06

I posted on here a while ago about my DS (9) who created his own 'business' and was in the process of making a website/online gaming community with a couple of boys he 'met' online?

Well I'm feeling really sad for him at the moment, the other boys (all about 11 years old) have totally taken over his idea and have taken over the site and everything. I read one message from one of the boys telling DS he can be a moderator on the forum and if he's not happy with that, he can leave 'the team'.

The other boys have been discussing the site on this other forum and have made out it was all their idea and of course the other kids believe them as DS is so young.

I was going to buy him the domain name for christmas. (he didn't know). Just feeling a bit sorry for him.

LynetteScavo Fri 03-Oct-08 18:18:06

Cant' you buy him the domain name now - and he can get it up and running asap?

Overmydeadbody Fri 03-Oct-08 18:18:26

I remember your other thread.

Your poor DS. He needs to leqrn to stand up for himself though, and be more assertive, maybe this experience will help him?

3littlefrogs Fri 03-Oct-08 18:18:52

It is a hard lesson. Poor ds. Now is the time to read up about intellectual property rights. I am sure he will come up with more good ideas as he gets older. sad

SoupDragon Fri 03-Oct-08 18:19:21

Buy the domain so the others can't get it.

Overmydeadbody Fri 03-Oct-08 18:20:21

If it's not already bought buy the domain now, then at least he'll own it. It's not expensive.

cthea Fri 03-Oct-08 18:21:28

Gosh, you have a clever DS. At that age 2 years makes a big difference, sorry he's been fooled by the others.

Blu Fri 03-Oct-08 18:22:51

It being the 'net, is it possible that the other boys are actually grown ups paying close attention towhat is succesful with children and then setting it up?

MrsSnape Fri 03-Oct-08 18:25:19

How do I go about buying the name? anyone know how much they are?

I really want him to come away from the PC and all this "website" stuff to be honest, he's obsessed with it and ends up going to bed ina mood because the others have 'dissed' his ideas or because they've thrown him out of their msn conversation.

I feel for him, he really wants to make it 'big' but he's so ahead of his time and abilities and he doesn't understand this.

He's currently reading a HTML (programming) book every night before bed which has replaces his harry potter books. I just want him to go back to being a kid and stop trying to be a mini adult entrepenear (sp?)

Overmydeadbody Fri 03-Oct-08 18:28:13

He's a geek, MrsSnape grin you just have to accept that!

It's easy to register a domain name, there are a few sites that do it, just have a quick google. The last one I bought (last week) cost me about £8 I think, it was a .com name. The .co.uk ones are cheaper iirc.

MrsSnape Fri 03-Oct-08 18:32:36

Oh I do accept that! I often call him "Mummy's little geek!" and he rolls his eyes but I think he likes it really, he's proud of his geekyness because ... in his words...

"yes, well Bill Gates was a geek...once" grin

I'm going to have a look for domain name sites now, thanks.

MrsSnape Fri 03-Oct-08 18:33:54

shock it's gone! he's going to be livid sad

.co.uk is still there

LollipopViolet Sat 04-Oct-08 15:58:16

Oh your poor DS! I had a similar thing happen in primary school. I wanted to organise an assembly performance with some other girls. They changed the songs we were gonna sing and claimed it as their idea. I just wanted to sing solo for once Never have yet...

If he really wants to make it, he will, with or without those so called teammates.

mankymummy Sat 04-Oct-08 15:59:53

register.com or ukreg.co.uk are good sites to register domains.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now