Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Any reason not to get a rear facing car seat?

(19 Posts)
Stefka Fri 03-Oct-08 16:15:19

I posted this in products but didn't get too many replies and I am keen to know people's thoughts.

DS is needing to go up to the next car seat. I read the stuff on rear facing car seats and it makes sense. Are there any reasons not to get one that I might be missing? They are expensive and I want be sure I am doing the right thing.

Tommy Fri 03-Oct-08 16:17:36

a friend of mine is a very enthusiastic advocat of these. As far as I can see (from her evidence) they are much the best seats you can buy from a safety perspective - which is the most important thing isn't it?

Stefka Fri 03-Oct-08 19:29:22

That was what I had read - that they were safer and I guess I feel that now I know that I can't unknow it if you know what I mean! They are dear though and I am guessing as he gets older DS won't like it much. Still they are for safety so it makes sense to me to go for that. Just wondered if anyone knew of any negatives or arguments against them.

WantThisWantThat Fri 03-Oct-08 19:58:58

Don't want to be all judgey and not sure of what you are actually talking about but is that for a size 1 car set that faces the back seat. Won't your child get bored that he can't see anything - is that this not a danger in itself? hmm All car seats have to pass stringent safety tests anyway, so I'm not sure what real all round benefits it would have? Curious though - do you have a link?

Sycamoretree Fri 03-Oct-08 20:13:10

My sis went for this option - I gather they are supposed to be safest. All I can say from experience is, it is bloody boring for them starting at the back of a car seat as they get older. They like to look out of the window. Also, if they are throwing any kind of fit, whining, crying etc, it's easier to turn around (when you are in passenger seat of course!) and give them a smile, sing a song, chuck a rice cake at them, or if all else fails, the dummy.

Stefka Fri 03-Oct-08 20:41:25

It was new to me too - someone on here mentioned it. There is some info here:

www.rearfacing.co.uk/index.php

I don't know much about it myself to be honest. Just trying to figure out what is best.

WantThisWantThat Fri 03-Oct-08 21:03:48

Hhmm - website seems a bit paranoid and keeps alluding to their popularity in Scandanavian. Perhaps, because of the darker, icier conditions there is a greater need for a carseat that is even safer because there is a greater risk of a car crash. Volvo's (I think) are one of the safest cars but it doesn't mean that all the others out there are death traps. DD can be such a PITA when I'm out driving with her - I think this would be even worse.

Stefka Fri 03-Oct-08 21:07:07

It's always hard to know about these things isn't it. They do seem to have a lot of evidence though. I don't get why the UK government wouldn't be recommending them though if they knew they were safer.

WantThisWantThat Fri 03-Oct-08 21:33:58

I know! I spent ages deciding on the best car seat. Ended up with a Maxi Cosi Toby because it was so easy to install (was using the one between two cars at the time so was always have to to take in and out) and strap in. TBH, I assumed it as long as it was installed correctly then it would offer as much protection as needed. Good luck! smile

Tangle Sat 04-Oct-08 22:43:19

Whether or not it fits in your car. We shifted DD into a Concord Ultimax when she was about 7 months as she outgrew her 0+ car seat. She's now 18 months and still rearward facing. The only time we've had a problem with her is on very long journeys (around 7 hrs) and I suspect she'd have been unhappy whichever way round she'd been. She's reaching the weight limit for rearward facing, now, and we have to decide whether to keep the car seat and turn her around or get a proper Grp 1 rearward facing car seat.

The only thing putting me off getting the new carseat is that I'm concerned it won't actually fit in the car and I can't find anyone locally that stocks them so I can check. Replacing the car would be difficult at the moment.

As for why the UK government don't recommend them, I haven't got a clue.

Stefka Sun 05-Oct-08 14:00:04

I found a local shop that has one so I am going to go and check it out. I am pretty sure I am going to get one though - all the evidence says that they are safer.

MerlinsBeard Sun 05-Oct-08 14:01:31

what do they do with their legs in RF carseats when they a re older?

Stefka Sun 05-Oct-08 14:08:03

Good question! I ask when I go and look at the seat and see what they say.

SlinkieM Sun 05-Oct-08 20:49:12

The fact they haven't been tested by an independent reputable source (eg Which) would put me off. If you look at all the car seat tests, you can see (among fwd facing ones - the only ones I have seen tested here) the quality and safety varies enormously. Without independent analysis how would you know you were buying a decent rear-facing or a lousy one just like you could buy an excellent fwd-facing or a duff one? Unless you have access to test results or knowledge from friends etc from the countries where these are popular or the norm, you wouldn't really know the quality of what you were buying surely?

Tangle Mon 06-Oct-08 15:23:30

DD just bends her legs, or waves them in the air if she feels so inclined. She falls asleep happily enough, so I'm assuming she's not uncomfortable.

Slinkie - If you look at this page on the rearfacing webpage, you'll find a number of links to independent safety tests of rearward facing carseats. The page also has some very valid thoughts about test results in general that you might find interesting. The only hitch is that they're all in swedish, although the rearfacing site admin do offer help in that department.

Stefka Mon 06-Oct-08 16:18:39

We tried it in our car and it doesn't sit flush with the back seat so there is plenty space for legs.

The woman in the shop said that they are definitely safer but that people here are obsessed with getting their children front facing as soon as possible. They come to her with four month old babies asking for front facing car seats all the time.

We bought it in the end. It is more expensive but we thought it was worth it. It's a really nice seat too.

Tangle Mon 06-Oct-08 16:22:55

Glad they were helpful Which seat did you get? I've got a couple of months before DD reaches the weight limit for RF in her current seat, so I'm doing my digging now.

diddle Mon 06-Oct-08 16:26:01

surely it is bad for their posture at an older age, to have their legs tucked up against a seat like that. the kids on the linked site don't look very comfy

Stefka Mon 06-Oct-08 16:36:08

The Recaro polaric:

shop.babyworld.co.uk/DisplayDetail.aspx?prodid=2019

There is space for legs on the one I got so his legs won't be tucked up. For me, having read the research, I feel happier knowing he is in a safer car seat.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: