Talk

Advanced search

MMR jab

(9 Posts)
bluestripes Wed 01-Oct-08 14:25:55

The doctor has just called me to say they have run out of MMR jabs! DS is 13 months and was booked in to have his next week, she can not tell me when they will get more in, maybe a week, maybe a month!! So unhelpful, I said is it not important that DS has it on time and she said 'yes very'!! So what do i do? Do you think it is ok to wait a couple of weeks or should I try and register him at a different docs and get it that way? Which may take time in itself.

yousaidit Wed 01-Oct-08 14:27:42

can you call your health visitor and see if they can arrange for you to have an app at a diff surgery or health centre? The 'jab peopple' tend to visit diff locations every day so surely they could arrange for you to go somewhere else?

Green7 Wed 01-Oct-08 17:14:46

I didn't think it was THAT important to have it on time. My daughter's 17 months and I've been putting it off - partly because she had a cold when we were asked to go in but also because I'm not sure I even want her to have it, given all the bad press the MMR's received.

SaintRiven Wed 01-Oct-08 17:20:57

I thought they did it at 18 months?
Having said that none of mine are vacinated.

Sawyer64 Wed 01-Oct-08 17:28:18

Ideal time is 13-15 months,but not essential to have it then,its just that there has been an increase in Measles,and the sooner they are protected the better.

The surgery should know whether its a problem with supply from manufacturers or whether they are just out of stock themselves,and awaiting more stock.

If the latter is the case,then they know how often they order,and how long it takes normally.

forevercleaning Wed 01-Oct-08 17:30:45

not vital to have it done right now. My youngest is 8 and not had it.

Sawyer64 Wed 01-Oct-08 17:37:17

Depends whether you believe in it and want to protect your DC from nasty illnesses,or you think its not "worth the risks"(that some still believe in)

It is important to have it done asap if you believe in the vaccine,if not doesn't matter what age your DC is.

You can always do a catch-up later,if you want to wait until they are past the age that signs of Autism showhmm

Sidge Wed 01-Oct-08 21:59:42

It can be done anytime, but it's most often given between 12 and 18 months so don't panic.

If they've run out it might be a local supply problem. Our PCT supplied our vaccines based on how many children we were expecting in our clinic but occasionally there were supply problems and we didn't get our vaccine allocation and would have to catch them up a few weeks later.

I doubt another doctor would register you just for your son to have his vaccines as they may well have supply problems too. They would probably prefer you to get them done with your own practice.

Yousaidit - most immunisations are now done by practice nurses (and less commonly HVs) and they are done at their base ie health centre, so they're not roving jab teams.

jem1969 Thu 02-Oct-08 14:43:47

My DD had it at 14 months as I didn't want her to have it before we went on holiday (luckily- as she has been very grumpy since having it).
My GP said that was absolutely fine so don't worry at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now