Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

OMG - Ive just watched new Jamie Oliver Prog and cant believe a 5 year old's fave meal is a Kebab!!!!

(275 Posts)
mumma2cjh Tue 30-Sep-08 22:21:43

I felt soooooooooo guilty the other day as in a md rush I gave my 3 year old fresh pasta nad pesto followed by strawberries, grapes and apple slices....After watching JO's new programme I feel totally relieved.

Im not a great cook but would never, never, never feed my 3 year old kebab meat or chips and cheese from a take a way!!!!

avenanap Tue 30-Sep-08 22:22:46

shock ds has been missing out!

QuintessentialShadows Tue 30-Sep-08 22:23:11

Oh, that reminds me. I havent given my children "meat lolly" for a while. Yum minted kebab. With couscous and veg.

JohnsonsShampoo Tue 30-Sep-08 22:24:52

Depends what sort of Kebab.

My DTDs love a skewer chicken chunk kebab from our nice butchers.

I assume you are talking Doner kebab from take-away though...but was it explicit?

FanjolinaJolly Tue 30-Sep-08 22:24:58

That IS pretty sad,but I think it is all about balance really.

I do home cooked meals for the family most nights but I have, say once every couple of months, taken them to <<WHISPERS>> MacDonalds for crap food.So shoot me.....

avenanap Tue 30-Sep-08 22:24:59

na, just chips. No veg or couscous. This is far too healthy. Deep fried mars bar or desert.

mumma2cjh Tue 30-Sep-08 22:26:16

No, no ... this was that shaved "Doner stuff" from a chip shop.

The child was 5 and has never had a home cooked meal in her life

avenanap Tue 30-Sep-08 22:27:25

(barf) poor child. I suppose it's better than a pot noodle. hmm

NoBiggy Tue 30-Sep-08 22:28:20

Is that just meat or do they do something to it?

AnotherFineMess Tue 30-Sep-08 22:31:14

Obviously these families are the extreme, and no-one would consider this to be a healthy diet, but there is such a lot pressure/guilt about this issue that it can scare people and push them towards lazier options because they don't think they have the money/time/knowledge.

OP, how can you feel guilty about pasta then friut? There is NOTHING wrong with that meal and a lot right.

controlfreakinfreaky Tue 30-Sep-08 22:31:28

why on earth would you feel guilty feeding your dd pasta and pesto plus freash fruit??? why??? hmm

unknownrebelbang Tue 30-Sep-08 22:34:49

just what I was going to ask, controlfreaky.

mumma2cjh Tue 30-Sep-08 22:36:14

Yes I know there was nothing wrong with this - I meant that I was in a rush and just "cooked" what I could in 10mins....I'd planned on cooking a roast!!

LittleBella Tue 30-Sep-08 22:37:13

pmsl

this one ranks with: am i depriving ds of social interaction by not allowing him to watch TV?

I LOVE the way you stressed the FRESH pasta..

I want to rush out and buy a kebab

And chips

mumma2cjh Tue 30-Sep-08 22:42:53

umm my opinion has obviously hit a nerve!!!!

I was just shocked that the 5 year old hadnt eaten a home cooked meal in her life and ate on the lounge floor with her fingers out of a polystrene tray as her mother admitted that she didnt cook because she couldnt cook and couldnt afford meat, fruit, veg etc......J O's aim is to teach someone a recipe, basic cookign skills who then passes this on to someone else, and so on...

Dotsie Tue 30-Sep-08 22:57:04

apparently doner kebabs have less nutritional value than dog food. shock(can't remember where i heard this - have looked but can't find a link) they're made from mechanically recovered meat so there's not a lot to recommend them really. I'd rather have a pot noodle!
this says it all really.

LittleBella Tue 30-Sep-08 22:59:48

ummmm, what nerve would that be, then?

Trafficcone Tue 30-Sep-08 23:01:36

QUOTE: pmsl

this one ranks with: am i depriving ds of social interaction by not allowing him to watch TV?

I LOVE the way you stressed the FRESH pasta..

I want to rush out and buy a kebab

And chips : END QUOTE

ROFL!!! Totally agree with LittleBella!!

God forbid we should be feeding our children ONLY fresh pasta and expensive out of season fruit.....SOBS

I'm not surprised by the kebab kid. I've met plenty of people who live on ready meals so thats the next step down on the ladder I suppose. Of course Jamie Oliver is arrogant and stupidly naive enough to think he's going to change the habits of lifetimes! Yeah...whatever

NoBiggy Tue 30-Sep-08 23:04:58

I like pot noodle. Just wish they didn't splatter so much.

I had a veggie kebab the other week. I considered it rather healthy.

Is a doner quite cheap then?

Koshka Tue 30-Sep-08 23:16:54

no nerve hit, the oher posters are agreeing with you, they were just reassuring you that your tea that you made was healthy.

Ebberley Tue 30-Sep-08 23:17:47

I work with young parents who have children on a Social Services care plan. Part of their agreement with SS is that they will attend my cooking sessions. It is very, very hard trying to help these parents cook and play with their children.

I think that part of the joy of being a middle class mum is the thrill of judging those less able or equipped to be reasonable parents. It is a horrible fact that lots of children in the UK live on shite. It's something that I go to bed worrying about as I can picture just what home life is like for the children all too well.

That mum who started to gain confidence gives me hope. She had a setback but I'm sure that she will find a way to overcome her situation.

I dunno. I can't even sneer at the inverted snobbery of pesto and fresh pasta. I'm worn down, let down and jaded. I just wish that the world were different.

AnotherFineMess Tue 30-Sep-08 23:21:58

sad Ebberley. Congratulations to you, you're doing what Jamie Oliver is trying to do, but without all the perks! Glad there are people like you who still care.

PeaMcLean Tue 30-Sep-08 23:25:25

Ebberley, I've spent this evening reading the many food threads here. Thanks for bringing a breath of fresh air and realism to MN. I think there are a lot of food snobs around here and a lot of people who forget how difficult it is when you don't have any basic skills in cookery.

BabyBaby123 Wed 01-Oct-08 09:29:37

mumma2cjh - your post comes across as an unpleasant boast hmm you know full well that you wouldn't feel guilty feeding your child fresh pasta and fruit and you are just putting the boot in....

I found the programme last night very depressing - I have been in the breadline, I know what it's like to not have enough money to live or enough to pay your bills but I would never scrimp on food - potatoes, pasta, vegetables, fruit from the market are a hell of a lot cheaper than takeways every night - and the people on that programme to me looked to have nice well equipped homes (better than mine have been at times!) so I'm not sure I buy the 'can't afford to cook'

BUT I didn't like the tone of your original post, sorry.

QueenMary Wed 01-Oct-08 09:40:29

And the pesto assured us of your middle class credentials. Well done.

My children will be having a poncetastic lunch of fresh pasta, smoked slamon and creme fraiche with stewed apples for pudding. It doesn't make me a better person/mother than the people on tv.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now