Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Looking for ideas and advice regarding fireguards please :o)

(5 Posts)
ILikeYourSleeves Sat 27-Sep-08 18:11:03

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this but I am wondering what people have done regarding fireplaces when they have a moving baby? My DS is becoming more active by the day and he is shuffling / crawling over to the fireplace at times. I can't stand those huge fire guard things you can get plus I think they need to drill into the fire surround (?) but is there any alternative? Thanks

fryalot Sat 27-Sep-08 18:15:49

those huge, big things that you talk of really are the only truly safe option.

And you must remember never to dry washing on them because then the metal gets hot and can burn.

There are other options, but none are any where near as good.

Sorry, it looks like it's an ugly fireplace for a few years grin

SammyK Sat 27-Sep-08 18:16:12

I have to have a fireguard as I am a childminder, and have a relatively nice one (as nice as you can get - it is a fireguard after all), it is from mothercare. Just looked on their site and it's not there! Similar to the arched shape one but nicer than that!

TheProvincialLady Sat 27-Sep-08 18:19:30

Generally speaking you drill into the chimney breast rather than the fire surround. You don't have to have a fireguard if your fireplace isn't used but you would need to think about how to protect your DS head from bumps on the hearth etc as they can be very hard and sharp. A friend of mine has used cushions but her DD is not very inquisitive or clumsy! My DS is both of these with bells on and we have a fire guard on both fire places even though one is never used and the other hardly ever.

georgimama Sat 27-Sep-08 18:19:48

I have two of the "nursery" fireguards of which you speak, they are the only thing that I can be sure 100% will protect DS not only from fire, but from tripping and banging his head on the hearthstone (which actually worries me far more than the burning).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now