Talk

Advanced search

ok please help dilema. Where to put newborn to sleep in the day??

(21 Posts)
mad4mybaby Thu 25-Sep-08 21:13:02

Have a 2yr old and due in november and stressing about where to put new ds2 to sleep in the day. i know very silly of me. When i had ds1 i couldnt sit down without a pillow for about 8 weeks and going up and down the stairs was a nightmare. DS1 was very ill as newborn and slept on me for most of the time for his sleep during the day or on the sofa! Obviously this is not going to be feasible 2nd time round and i dont want to do that anyway.

I dont have enough room for a travel cot downstairs and obviously cant leave him on the sofa. I dont want to be going up and down the stairs in the day. So..... ive obviously thought about a moses basket but be lucky if we get 6 weeks out of it. Also looking into getting a travel system with a carry cot so he can go in there but i was on another thread and have been put off slightly. Just dont know what to do! Help!

gigglewitch Thu 25-Sep-08 21:22:02

we put our dc in the pram for daytime sleep, something which turned out to be very useful as the child grew older, they understand that daytime sleep is in the pram and night time sleep is in their room smile

We had a carry cot and it worked great, used it for all 3 dc.
Otherwise wondered if something like this was any use hmm we used one for weekends away and camping when they were very small, and they may well go on ebay.

eeewahwoowah Thu 25-Sep-08 21:23:13

why have you been put off a carry cot/travel system? sounds like a reasonable solution.

CantSleepWontSleep Thu 25-Sep-08 21:26:14

Get yourself a second hand moses basket on ebay. Look for local ones for collection only, and watch them all until you can get one for a bargain price. I got a M&P one that was hardly used, with a stand, for £5. Then I just had/chose to buy a new mattress for it for a few quid. Don't begrudge it only lasting a few weeks that way.

mad4mybaby Thu 25-Sep-08 21:27:14

because the whole thing is quite large and you have to have bits being clipped on and off all the time. Im not being naive though am i? You could get quite a few months from the carry cot for naps?

I like the idea of the pop up thingy but 'just in case' there was to be any sort of accident with ds1 it wouldnt protect ds2 in anyway...

soph28 Thu 25-Sep-08 21:29:56

Where are you?I've got a mamas and papas carrycot that you can have if you want?

mad4mybaby Thu 25-Sep-08 21:32:41

east sussex

juuule Thu 25-Sep-08 21:58:47

We used moses basket for the first few months and then the pram.

Used the moses basket inside the cot at night-time until around 6m-ish. Might have been longer. But we did swaddle tightly.

threestars Fri 26-Sep-08 11:06:21

I bought a Quinny Dreami carrycot from ebay. It cost around £35, so quite pricy for a second hand item, but it was GREAT. The hood was opaque, so provided adequate shade to help dd drop off. And it also had a cover that provided more shade.
She also slept in it at night, as I felt her cot was too big for her tiny newborn body. I'd place the carrycot inside the big cot and when she outgrew it (around 8 or 9 weeks, I think, but she is tall/long) it wasn't too big a transition to go into the big cot.
well worth the money.

threestars Fri 26-Sep-08 11:08:10

Whatever you buy, remember you can always sell it afterwards and recoup some of the money...

kitbit Fri 26-Sep-08 11:23:22

Moses backet or sling for us

Dotsie Fri 26-Sep-08 11:31:03

i used one of these when ds2 was tiny. he slept really well in it and it felt safe and secure. now he's a bit bigger i just plonk him on the rocking chair..

Dotsie Fri 26-Sep-08 11:32:03

paid about £30 + p&p, got it off ebay..

willali Fri 26-Sep-08 12:23:29

My 2nd baby spent most of her first few months in a car seat!! If you are concerned baby will get in the way of your older child could you perch car seat on a table or chair higher up??

Seona1973 Fri 26-Sep-08 12:53:46

do you have a buggy that is suitable from newborn i.e. reclines fully? My dd slept in that for her naps when she was really young as I didnt have a moses basket or a carry cot. Ds slept in the carry cot bit of the travel system that we got for him. When they got to 2 or 3 months old I started putting them up in the crib upstairs for naps as it was quieter and they would get disturbed less.

mad4mybaby Fri 26-Sep-08 13:42:14

no we havent bought anything yet.. i dont want to have to take the prams chassis into the house because of the carpet (cream!) i dont want to be messing around with cleaning the wheels etc!

mppaw Fri 26-Sep-08 13:56:22

You can specially designed bean bags now.
I used the bouncy chair during the day for the naps, well come to think about it, for EVERYTHING !!!

mad4mybaby Fri 26-Sep-08 14:03:11

ive seen some really nice diff things id love to have (like the beanbag and the hammock thing and pop up ) but just not really feasible with v active 2 yr old around. Dont have v big house so not anywhere i could put baby that is out of reach other than upstairs which defeats the object of the thread!

phraedd Sun 28-Sep-08 12:09:06

you could become a member of freecycle.

I often see moses baskets etc bing offered.

My babies slept in a pram/carrycot during the day which made school runs easy too a I then didn't need to wake a sleeping baby from its nap.

chloemegjess Sun 28-Sep-08 16:19:07

I am going to have the same issue with a 15month old and newborn. We will probably use a comination of the pram and bouncy chair.

Somebody suggested to use the car seat. Just wanted to say, this is really unsuitable i'm afraid and it is not recomended that babies are in there when not necessary as their spines are all cramped and they should lie flat ideally. Sorry if you already know, but I thought I better add that in just incase. I hate seeing babies in their car seats for ages.

SmugColditz Sun 28-Sep-08 16:21:05

I had a travel system with a carry cot, and ds2 slept in there a lot of the time. It meant I didn't have to wake him to go out, just put a blanket over and leave

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now