Talk

Advanced search

Would you let your 11 year old go abroad without you?

(5 Posts)
Nesfrappe Wed 24-Sep-08 22:12:35

My son has been invited to a karate training camp and competition. He usually goes to them all, I support it fully. But, this one is in bloody Tokyo.

I can't afford to go and told him this but I would so love for him to go and experience this. Anyway the club instructor is also going and has offered to take DS with him if I pay for him (obviously).

I really do not know what to do. I can afford for him to go on his own finantially and it would mean so much to him and would be a fantastic oportunity but would you let him go all that way without you? It's for two weeks.

CookieMonster2 Thu 25-Sep-08 10:35:27

Sounds like an amazing opportunity to me, and something he won't forget for years. If you help him read up about Tokyo and Japan before he goes it will be a good educational opportunity as well.
I appreciate its a lot of money but at 11 maybe he should be able to understand that paying for the trip means he can't have new stuff and other holidays this year.

Anna8888 Thu 25-Sep-08 10:39:12

I think it sounds like a fantastic opportunity providing you have absolute and full confidence in your DS' club instructor to act in loco parentis.

missingtheaction Thu 25-Sep-08 10:44:03

urgh! in theory yes of course, opportunity-trustworthy coach-educational etc

but 2 weeks on the other side of the world...

how does he feel about it?

if he does go it is inevitable there will be some down times in the middle of it - need a strategy (or bottle) for dealing with those

ninedragons Thu 25-Sep-08 10:45:42

Detroit no I wouldn't, Tokyo yes I would. Japan is probably the place on earth he's least likely to come to any harm - CAT RoseOfTheOrient if you want reassurance about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now