Talk

Advanced search

Bed guards - a necessity or waste of money

(18 Posts)
Mishee Wed 24-Sep-08 21:27:57

thinking of letting DD loose in a real bed - do I need a pair of bedguards (at £20 each) or can I just let her fall out of bed?

Sexonlegs Wed 24-Sep-08 21:31:02

We used ours once when we stayed in a static caravan and a travel cot wouldn't fit. Otherwise, what about putting the matress on the floor so not as far to fall? Or is there not enough room? If not, what about lots of cushions on the floor by the side of the bed. How old is your dd?

llareggub Wed 24-Sep-08 21:33:52

Why a pair? Put the bed against the wall.

SazzlesA Wed 24-Sep-08 21:34:31

Message withdrawn

lilymolly Wed 24-Sep-08 21:36:26

never used one with dd
she never fell out of bed

Califrau Wed 24-Sep-08 21:36:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mishee Wed 24-Sep-08 21:36:53

DD is nearly 2, but a mummy friend went to 2 year check & was told that if your child is banging head against cot rails, they are ready for a bed. DD is a real head banger when trying to get comfortable. Thought I'd leave it til half term though, so if nights get bad, I can catch up on sleep at some point! Could put cot in another room and then put matress on floor, when DD is at nursery ( a few days a week) she is on floor matress, so that could be initial step. Thanks.

Sidge Wed 24-Sep-08 21:38:01

I never bothered. We used one when staying at a friend's and DD1 managed to fall out over the top of it, then get wedged in the gap at the top of the bed between where the bed guard finished and the bedside table.

I just put a folded duvet on the floor and listened for the thump. I think she only fell out of bed once or twice.

halogen Wed 24-Sep-08 21:39:23

DD is 2 and went into a bed about four months ago. It's quite a low bed (cotbed) so I just put a duvet on the floor and left her to it. She's been fine and has only fallen out twice (once she remained asleep and I only realised when I checked on her when I went to bed). I'd say waste of money unless you are planning to put her in a very high bed, and then I'd say mattress on the floor would be cheaper!

Mishee Wed 24-Sep-08 21:39:43

Thanks everyone - am going to risk not spending £40 on that ... now what can I spend that money on...?

Lubyloo Wed 24-Sep-08 21:40:08

Waste of money. Just tuck the duvet in tightly and put the old cot mattress on the floor to give her a soft klanding if she does fall out

NappiesGalore Wed 24-Sep-08 21:41:39

we still use them. but im not a cot lover and all mine were out of theirs by a year or so old and in normal beds.
my 5 and 4yos now sleep on top bunks so bedrails are included in that, but the 2yo has a rail on his bottom bunk. hes a wriggly little darling too, so he needs it.

Mishee Wed 24-Sep-08 21:43:09

Ooh, she's not in a duvet but still in a sleeping bag. Will that cause a problem? Have just bought 2 new ones that should last her until she's about 18 years old!

NappiesGalore Wed 24-Sep-08 21:44:06

personally i want a room filled with mattresses on the floor and a shelf all round for books and lamps, and the whole room filled with duvets and pillows so i can sleep in with all my babies while they still want to.
will never really do it tho. coz i cant be arsed to have the argument with dp and insist on it, only to find one of them doesnt want it afterall. if no dp, id throw caution to the wind smile

nothorney Wed 24-Sep-08 21:55:55

we put a pillow rolled long ways (does that make sense) so it was like a sausgage under the sheet, to make a sort of buffer.........

SazzlesA Wed 24-Sep-08 22:09:24

Message withdrawn

Tapster Thu 25-Sep-08 15:00:14

She may well learn to take her grobag off.

Mishee Thu 25-Sep-08 15:21:57

I'd like to see that - this new one's like a round of The Krypton Factor (hope I'm not the only one old enough to remember that!). Mind you - they exist to surprise us!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now