Talk

Advanced search

settling in the classroom in the morning..parents expected to help with an activity..madness!!!

(8 Posts)
brimfull Wed 24-Sep-08 14:18:09

bloody nightmare

ds is in yr 1,last yr I dropped and flew,he was fine
this yr there is something for them to do
eg.do a numberline backwards from 20.

Parents are expected to start the child off which is all very nice except
there are 300 people in the classroom including excited toddlers and crying baby siblings
people need to get to work
people have other children to settle in at the same time in a different classroom

Anyone else have this utter lunacy at school.

Seeline Wed 24-Sep-08 14:19:46

Yes - we have it in reception, yr1 and yr2! It's a more relaxed school than others - children learning through play etc rather than sitting at desks doing the 3 R's but it can be a little chaotic in the mornings!

pinkblossom Wed 24-Sep-08 14:20:18

Sounds awful. Could maybe understand it (a little bit maybe) if the child has just started school in reception but no way in Year 1. It sounds like utter chaos. What is the reasoning behind it?

Miaou Wed 24-Sep-08 14:20:24

Blimey, most teachers can't wait to get parents out of the classroom! Seems very ill-thought out to me.

coppertop Wed 24-Sep-08 14:25:29

Ours has a similar system but it's not compulsory. If a parent can't stay then either the teacher helps them or the child teams up with another child.

It was introduced as a way of welcoming parents into the school and giving them a better idea of what their child is learning at school. It's been a successful scheme here.

brimfull Wed 24-Sep-08 14:28:40

not sure what the idea behind it is

curriculum meeting tonight so wil ask

problem is I don't do the mornings usually,a friend does and I do pick up,as i am on nights.

she has three kids ,two preschoolers so has to settle her ds as well.
atm she does alternate days settling so the boys get on with it themselves the other day.

makes me feel guilty at not being there

handlemecarefully Wed 24-Sep-08 14:37:20

That is so not a good idea. What is the teacher thinking of!

brimfull Wed 24-Sep-08 14:41:07

seems to be a policy for all the yr 1 and 2 classes

complete chaos between 9:40 and 9:50 as loads of parents stay for the entire ten minutes

I wish there was a policy of just chuck the kids in the classroom.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now