Talk

Advanced search

should I deliberately make DS1 more wordly?

(17 Posts)
apostrophe Sun 21-Sep-08 20:19:27

Message withdrawn

singyswife Sun 21-Sep-08 20:22:42

Just because these children were up on their tv doesnt mean they are in front of your ds. I bet he could tell them more about how the garden grows or how to climb up the climbing frame. It is a balance of tv v's life experience and it sounds as if you are giving your ds the later.

Threadwworm Sun 21-Sep-08 20:22:53

I can't remember my DSs being into any sort of branding before about 5, when some playground crazes got them entranced with Pokemon and the like. Branded toys (power Rangers and such like) usually didn't interest them -- and very often have poor 'play value'. I'd leave it until he is clamouring for some such thing.

JackieNo Sun 21-Sep-08 20:25:31

I suspect he'll pick up enough from being around other kids too - to my knowledge, DS has never seen 'Spiderman' (I reckon he's too young for it at 4), but he adores Spiderman stuff, even so. Ditto Power RAngers.

policywonk Sun 21-Sep-08 20:28:10

I honestly don't think that little kids are at all bothered by 'difference' among their peer group. Your DS isn't going to be regarded as weird by his fellow three-year-olds. When he starts school he'll probably become much more aware of branded things, and he'll be able to make up his mind which things are interesting to him and which aren't.

My DS1 has just gone into Year 1, and I've been very cheered so far by how accepting and tolerant his year group are.

tiggerlovestobounce Sun 21-Sep-08 20:32:03

I wouldnt worry about it yet. I think that at that age it doesnt matter much.
My 5 year old DD "loves" Hannah Montana. She has never actually seen it, but that doesnt seem to put her off. grin

FILLYJONKhasayarnshopASBO Sun 21-Sep-08 20:32:19

apostrophe, your ds sound exactly like my older 2, don't worry about it. Yes kids do talk about this stuff but they always seem VERY happy to explain it to other kids. Also at this age a lot of it is playing games around the characters-social skills are what matter here. If a child has the skills to play games, his peers won't care how accurate they are-they want to have fun.

I think you are doing absolutely no harm by not making him aware of brands. Do not, fgs, sell your kid to the toy industry before you have to.

Sooner or later they do become aware of it anyway. We have no tv but we read thomas and spot books with the kids and the recognise those brands and lobby for them.

this is a book to make you angry

Fennel Sun 21-Sep-08 20:33:01

I certainly wouldn't worry at 3. My oldest, dd1 is 8 now, and she's still pretty unwordly compared to most 8yo girls - she never liked Barbie, she always loathed things like Disney princess, and I don't think she's ever seen High School Musical. But I would only worry when/if they are actually struggling socially. If they do seem to be not part of a social group or making friends.

dd1 is happy and has good friends, even though most of them don't share her fascination with woodlice and her hatred of all things glittery. She does seem young for her age in some ways, but it's nice, she's very individual.

PortAndLemon Sun 21-Sep-08 21:11:51

He'll pick up as much as he needs from being around other kids. What you do maybe need to do is to work out in advance your strategy for when he asks for branded plastic tat.

Smithagain Sun 21-Sep-08 22:04:32

DD1 is pretty unwordly, but it doesn't appear to have made her any kind of outcast (she's 6). Some of her friends have all the branded gear and are into things that are much "older" than anything she likes - others are much more like her. She's reasonably popular without being right in the middle of the in-crowd, which seems like a good place to be, to me.

It does also make a big difference whether the children in question have older siblings, who will have introduced them to things that your DS has had no exposure to. DD2, at 3, knows far more brand names than DD1 ever did, because a six year old's toys are immensely intriguing, especially when the six year old is safely at school and you can explore to your heart's content!

I have said that I will help DD1 find some programmes that she likes on CBBC, because she is being mildly teased for still liking CBeebies. But I've also told her that her best friend also watches CBeebies (although she won't admit it at school) and so does our next door neighbour's daughter who is a whole year older than her. So there are plenty of other kids out there who are in no rush to grow up.

apostrophe Sun 21-Sep-08 22:17:16

Message withdrawn

EachPeachPearMum Sun 21-Sep-08 22:52:13

I think we are in a similar position- DD (2.8) has never watched television, and I'm not particularly keen on it tbh.
We have a Bod dvd (mine!) which she has seen a couple of episodes of, and she has seen a couple of songs on you tube (muppets mnahmnah, and 'Inchworm') but thats it.

It annoys me that all the trikes I have looked at are branded with ITNG, Cars, Barbie etc- there don't seem to be any plain normal trikes- Why?

DH and I don't watch televison either, and I don;'t feel like we're missing out on anything.
I do worry about teasing when she starts school, but children at nursery don't notice of course.

Snippety Sun 21-Sep-08 23:58:27

I dislike most of the branded stuff and steer 15 month old DS away from it when I can. He "watches" Thomas while I get ready in the mornings but is only really interested in the theme song smile.

We have this plain trike which was a present from his Nan & Taid:

www.mothercare.com/gp/product/B000W34PQA

It's been fantastic so far and gets used most days.

AbstractMouse Mon 22-Sep-08 01:02:29

Wow well done for getting your ds to his 3rd birthday without blumming Thomas awareness, my ds almost 2 loves it so much.

If I were you I would just continue as you have been and take it at his pace, he won't be ostracised because of his lack of cars or Thomas knowledge etc.

My Ds has been exposed because of his sister who was in a Thomas phase awhile ago and is now in a Wall-e phase after seeing it at the cinema lol.

Smithagain Mon 22-Sep-08 16:00:10

EachPeachPearMum I know what you mean about branded trikes. If you are actually looking for one, keep an eye out for Kettler trikes.

On the web here: www.outdoortoycompany.co.uk/kettler_trikes/c1076-1.html

But we actually found one in ToysRUs and it was one of the best toys we ever bought, when our eldest was two. Brightly coloured, solidly made and not a cartoon character in sight!

MrsMattie Mon 22-Sep-08 16:02:15

Nah. The peer pressure and the exposure to brands comes all too quickly. Your son isn't going to suffer because he doesn't know much about Disney at the age of 3 yrs old!

EachPeachPearMum Mon 22-Sep-08 19:46:36

Thanks snippety & smithagain!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now