Talk

Advanced search

Can I freeze cooked rice do you know??

(11 Posts)
Thankyouandgoodnight Sun 21-Sep-08 20:02:51

Well it's rice, cheese, and veggies and i've made too much. Can i freeze the rest down - I thought someone said that you can't freeze rice but that seems a bit strange.

xserialshopper Sun 21-Sep-08 20:19:18

I ALWAY freeze rice. Truly. When we make rice I prefer to make a little bit extra to freeze. Comes in handy when we order a chinese and don't want to buy their ricesmile I would freeze the rice, even with the cheese - but I don't know if it will taste as nice/normal as plain rice the next time you eat it.

tiggerlovestobounce Sun 21-Sep-08 20:19:23

I think you cant. Reheating rice is a bad idea due to high risk of food poisoning.

Seona1973 Sun 21-Sep-08 20:20:37

yes you can as long as it has been cooled quickly and not left too long at room temperature. you can buy packets of frozen cooked rice so you must be able to do it. from food standards agency:

I've heard that reheating rice can cause food poisoning. Is this true?

It's true that you could get food poisoning from eating reheated rice. But it's not actually the reheating that's the problem – it's the way the rice has been stored before reheating.

Uncooked rice can contain spores of Bacillus cereus, bacteria that can cause food poisoning. When the rice is cooked, the spores can survive. Then, if the rice is left standing at room temperature, the spores will germinate into bacteria. These bacteria will multiply and may produce toxins (poisons) that cause vomiting or diarrhoea. Reheating the rice won't get rid of these toxins.

So, the longer cooked rice is left at room temperature, the more likely it is that bacteria, or the toxins they produce, could stop the rice being safe to eat.

It's best to serve rice when it has just been cooked. If that isn't possible, cool the rice as quickly as possible (ideally within one hour) and keep it in the fridge for no more than one day until reheating.

Remember that when you reheat any food, you should always check that it's piping hot all the way through, and avoid reheating more than once.

Thankyouandgoodnight Sun 21-Sep-08 20:47:02

Thank you for this. It's a good point about whether or not it would be as nice on thawing though - I might do it and then heat it to the same temperature as the sun and try it. Then I'll know for future reference won't I?!?!

xserialshopper Wed 24-Sep-08 11:53:54

As I've said - I'VE BEEN REHEATING RICE FOR YEARS. I am still alivegrin My mum used to do, my sisters do, my friends do it AND SO DO Igrin

By the way, on moneysavingexpert.co. there was a thread that mentioned grating chese and pop it in the freezer. Apparently it doesn't clump together, so you take out as much as you want, whenever you want. I thought that was fruitful to knowwink

DaphneMoon Wed 24-Sep-08 12:06:35

I always reheat rice that is left over from a chinese. Never done me any harm, as long as you freeze or refridgerate as soon as cool. Defrost and heat up properly and no probs.

theressomethingaboutmarie Wed 24-Sep-08 13:04:05

I always reheat rice. I make risotto for my DD (1 yo), freeze it in portions and then reheat it too.

MogTheForgetfulCat Wed 24-Sep-08 14:42:21

I freeze and reheat risotto portions, too - DS1 (who does have, it must be pointed out, a cast iron stomach grin) is fine, I have been doing it since he was 1 and he is now 2.7 and going v strong...

Thankyouandgoodnight Wed 24-Sep-08 15:13:43

Love the grated cheese idea!! I'll try that grin

Sycamoretree Wed 24-Sep-08 15:24:13

Yes, of course. I always make vats of risotto and freeze away!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now