Advanced search

birthday party etiquette

(14 Posts)
apostrophe Sat 20-Sep-08 22:17:55

Message withdrawn

SlartyBartFast Sat 20-Sep-08 22:20:58

yes, turn up and 2, and stay - it will be fine grin - you can always help

boogeek Sat 20-Sep-08 22:21:15

I'd try and be there at 2, or by 10 past anyway. Children's parties tend to run to schedule.
Present sounds fine, I usually go for that sort of price.
Mums definitely stay (birthday boy's mother would probably be horrified if you didn't and be on here AUBU to think 3 is too young to be left...!)
Just smile and be friendly - might be a chance for you to get to know some other mums!

boogeek Sat 20-Sep-08 22:21:36

AIBU. Clearly.

LynetteScavo Sat 20-Sep-08 22:22:49

You'll be fine!

Turn up at 2, but not before, and not to late if you can help it.

Personaly I would spend between £7.50 & £10 on a pressie. Tape the card to the present, so they know who it's from.

Definately stay! grin

Leave at 4.

Don't obviously stuff your face on all the party food. (I have a major problem holding back blush

mckenzie Sat 20-Sep-08 22:23:20

If it was me apostrophe, I would arrive on time, I would plan on staying but keeping out of the way unless it looked like my help would be appreciated (laying the tables when it was time for the party tea for instance) and I think £8 is absolutely fine price wise. Enjoy! If you can smile

mckenzie Sat 20-Sep-08 22:24:07

I must be a very slow typist! No one else had replied when I typed my reply. Now I sound like an echo grin

LynetteScavo Sat 20-Sep-08 22:26:21

Oh, and quickly search the party bag before your DC gets to it so you can remove any offending objects.

Have a rule that helium balloons must travel in the boot, or one day you will find yourself trying to drive home with several balloons bobbing around the car.

Take the card from the entertainer, if there is one. Even if they are dire; it will help you to remember who not to hire.

boogeek Sat 20-Sep-08 22:27:24

Oh yes: essential tip about sticking the card to the present.

LynetteScavo Sat 20-Sep-08 22:38:47

And don't come home and start an AIBU thread about there being only fruit shoots to drink.

ForeverOptimistic Sat 20-Sep-08 22:43:30

I think £8 is too much you don't want to set a precedent. I think £5 is more than adequate.

CaptainStellaMaris Sat 20-Sep-08 22:46:06

And if your child buries his head in your skirt for the entire party, refuses to join in pass the parcel or interact with the other children and screams hysterically at the sight of the clown/balloon/birthday candles don't feel embarrassed. We've all been there. Some of us quite often.

jasper Sat 20-Sep-08 23:04:07

arrive and leave exactly as requested.

your present is fine, a little on the generous side.£5 is normal in these parts.

You don't stay unless there is some reason to.

clear off and come back at 4

colie Sun 21-Sep-08 00:10:18

All other advice is good. i would say definately stay though. At dd1's 3rd birthday part a mum dropped off two little girls from dd1 nursery at her party. The mum handed me a bit of paper with two mobile number on it saying one is my number and the other is x mum number. My mouth dropped open as I realised she was leaving them.
It then just went from worse to worse. I was stuck in the hall kitchen cooking and preparing all the party food. Dh was organising party games etc, meanwhile one of the little girls was constantly at my heels asking "can you take me to the toilet", when is the food/juice/cake coming. I ended up having to spend loads of time at my dd party looking after someone else's daughter angry.

Definately stay, the party childs parent always has loads to do and can't be expected to be taking extra kids to the toilet etc.

Dd1 is now 6 and most parents left their kids at her last party. This was fine as they are obviously more capable of looking after themselves now hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now