Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Unsure about giving DS antibiotics

(9 Posts)
Stefka Thu 18-Sep-08 15:57:20

He's 11 months and has a chesty cough. He is eating well and is still full of energy but took him to the Dr just to be sure and she prescribed antibiotics. I questioned this and she said I didn't have to give them - I could wait and see and that there is always a risk when you take antibiotics but that there was something there for them to treat. She was pretty neutral about it so I don't know what to do now. He doesn't seem unhappy but I would hate to have him suffer if I could prevent it.

Mum2OliverJames Thu 18-Sep-08 16:02:23

if he has started a course of antibiotics he should finish them because otherwise what he has will become immune to those particular antibiotics here is some info

has he already started the course or are you pondering before giving them? sorry wasnt clear?

Sazisi Thu 18-Sep-08 16:03:41

I try to only give mine antibiotics when I really have to, so I probably wouldn't in this case, I'd hold onto the prescription in case it gets worse.
If he can fight this one off without antibiotics, his immune system will be stronger next time I think.

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Thu 18-Sep-08 16:05:40

If he is eating well and full of energy and with no temperature (and with no particular risk factors) then I personally would hold off giving them. Although chesty coughs can turn nasty in little ones so I would want them in the house.

I take it she didn't take a sample of anything?

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Thu 18-Sep-08 16:06:21

If you do give them give some probiotics as well....

Stefka Thu 18-Sep-08 16:42:32

I have not started no. I think I will hold off. I have the prescription so I can give him it if I think he gets worse but I think he is on the mend now anyway.

Stefka Thu 18-Sep-08 16:47:34

No samples no just listened to his chest and checked his ears.

cashy Thu 18-Sep-08 17:24:02

I'm in the same boat with DD. Shes 8 mths and has chesty cough but also had really hi temp - up to 40 degrees on Monday. We've decided to give her the anti-biotics (her first lot ever) and I'm glad i did. She is much brighter and getting back to herself. Think she would have been uncomfortable for longer without them. Only you know your child and whether they can get through the illness with or without the drugs

Stefka Thu 18-Sep-08 17:26:40

He doesn't have a temperature at the moment luckily. He was a bit warm last night but seems fine now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now