Talk

Advanced search

Please reassure me I am not a crap parent.....

(12 Posts)
PussinJimmyChoos Thu 18-Sep-08 14:47:58

DS has a cough and had a lie in today so we weren't able to make it to our usual music with mummy class. I thought right, I'll wait until after his nap and take him to the park.

Meanwhile, I am trying to clean up as DH's best friend is visiting tonight and staying over before flying back home tomorrow. DS was watching Cbeebies/DVDs while I did this.

However, the farking cleaning took an age to do and I had a ton of stuff to clear before I could even start so DS has spent the best part of the day just pottering around, watching TV or whinging to me. I stupidly added to my workload by making a cake for pudding and tried to get DS involved by giving him some sugar and marge to cream together in his own little bowl. It didn't work and he whinged even more.

He is finally down for his nap now and I'm in tears as I feel so guilty that he hasn't been out today, especially when the weather is so nice....this doesn't happen every week btw - last week he went to the Zoo on Friday, to Softplay on the Saturday and on the Sunday a walk down by the harbour side and he's just done three days at nursery..however, I still feel awful... we wont be able to go to the park after his nap either as I have to pick up DH and his friend at 5.30pm..can't go out into the garden as we have just had it turned into a play friendly area for DS and the new turf needs another week to settle in!

suzywong Thu 18-Sep-08 14:54:29

can't be arsed to read all that
did you beat him with a switch and tell him he wasn't really yours?
No?
then you probably are Not A Bad Parent
Chill

ang22 Thu 18-Sep-08 14:54:40

dont feel guilty. i have done exactly the same today as i have a 6 week old who had me up half the night so my two year old has spent the day watching beebies and doing drawing. she too has been to nursery this week and we are out all day tommorrow so i just see it as a day of resting today and it does not do them any harm. if you go out every day they will expect that and will moan even more when you stay in! So no you are not a crap parent. Maybe next time get some craft stuff to do together just for an hour to break the day up. or i have just made mine a tent out of a sheet and she is happily playing in there by herself.

staryeyed Thu 18-Sep-08 14:55:01

Relax its one day. It sounds like he has plenty to do normally. Im very sick (morning sickness) and I haven't been able to take DS out for weeks. I ask my parents to take him out every so often in the week and dp to take him at weekend.

DrHorrible Thu 18-Sep-08 14:57:28

<looks concerned that this isn't a normal toddler day>

<considers going and bonding with Flameboy>

<goes back to active convos>

thumbwitch Thu 18-Sep-08 14:59:08

not crap at all - being much too hard on yourself. It's only one day, it won't turn him into a knife-wielding hoody.

groovychick2 Thu 18-Sep-08 14:59:11

Kids need to know that you are not always there for their benefit and must occupy themselves sometimes otherwise they just become spoilt.It sounds like you are making every effort to spend quality time with your son so an odd day here & there doing what you need does not matter!! Thats life,after all!! smile

Saturn74 Thu 18-Sep-08 15:00:47

I think your DS will survive. wink

TheProvincialLady Thu 18-Sep-08 15:02:20

You aren't his personal entertainment system and he doesn't need to be taken somewhere every day. You have to do the cleaning and he has to deal with it sometimes.

HuwEdwards Thu 18-Sep-08 15:04:12

oh blimey I thought I was going to offer some tea and sympathy to someone who'd flipped and slapped their child, or whose kid had piped up from the back seat of the car 'You drive like a prize twat', in mimicry of mum.

he's only little and it might seem like a big deal, but it's not, he's FINE!!!

nomorelostweekends Thu 18-Sep-08 15:06:43

Its seriously fine. Chill. Actually think its good for toddlers to have periods of time like this, good to let them work out what to do with themselves iykwim

PussinJimmyChoos Thu 18-Sep-08 15:11:27

Aww - thanks you lot - I do feel better now. Am weaning off my ADs for PND and am a tad fragile and I guess I'm still carrying a lot of guilt as to how detached I was for a while due to the PND and I guess it manifests itself on days like this!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now