Talk

Advanced search

Cot death paranoia...please reassure a new mum...

(16 Posts)
cupcake76 Thu 18-Sep-08 13:20:29

Message withdrawn

zwiggy Thu 18-Sep-08 13:24:37

no not at all, every new mum worries about it. I still do at 7 months.

My cot fits in my bedroom, but other mums I've known who had big cots and small bedrooms have gone out and bought a smaller crib and their babies will sleep in there for at least 9 months if not more.

My ds does not sleep well in his travel cot btw.

My ds also grew out of his moses basket at 8 weeks. Look at cribs or see if you can borrow one.

(my dh has is own little bed in the dining room and me and ds share the bedroom!! blush )

Mum2OliverJames Thu 18-Sep-08 13:36:19

We bought one of those cots where the side comes down and it goes next to your bed like an ext for baby but after 8 weekd we moved him into his own room (we pretty much had paper walls plus kept the doors open) and he slept through straight away.

I wouldnt say you were paranoid, i did worry about other things but never really worried about cot death, i guess i have never known anyone have a child be taken away by it so i didnt seem like a real threat to me.

is the DC's bedroom close by? because if so you could alsways leave doors open etc? Mt DS never really slept well in a travel cot either but if you are going to get one anyway for going away its worth a try smile

TheProvincialLady Thu 18-Sep-08 13:41:59

No you are not being silly. Cot death is a real risk and you are sensible to follow the guidelines wherever possible. As it is only for 6 months would it be possible to shove your bed right up against the wall so that there is room to jam a cot between the bed and the next wall? Ie both of you have to climb into bed from the back but you all just about fit in? Or try a crib, which is smaller. You could also look into some of the cheaper cots which tend not to be as massive as the more expensive ones.

Seona1973 Thu 18-Sep-08 13:45:39

we managed to get the cot into our room but it was along the bottom of the bed. I wouldnt have moved my lo's earlier than 6 months although in reality they moved around 8 months. It also makes it easier for night feeds as you dont have to trail to the other bedroom to give a feed - I used to get back into bed and feed there (bottlefed)

Pheebe Thu 18-Sep-08 13:46:41

You certainly aren't being silly!

I think a travel cots a great idea, you can get some lovely but cheap ones in tescos at the mo.

Current advice is to co-sleep (which means have baby in same room as you not necessarily in your bed) til at least 6 months. We found with both dss that from about 4 months we were disturbing them so we did move them out earlier but we used an angel monitor and open doors for (my) peace of mind. Again you can get these really quite cheap now too.

Egg Thu 18-Sep-08 13:49:11

I slept on the floor in my DTs room for the first few months as could not have fitted two cots in our room (or even one). Could you do that instead so keeps DH happy too?!?

Egg Thu 18-Sep-08 13:50:55

Oh and DD (one of DTs) does sleep in a travel cot quite a lot as we have moved her up to the loft to stop DTs waking each other (they are now 8 months). She sleeps just as well in travel cot as in normal cot, although I seem to remember reading somewhere that they are not recommended as a full time cot (she sleeps in normal cot for daytime naps and sometimes at night).

cupcake76 Thu 18-Sep-08 17:56:35

Message withdrawn

Amberc Thu 18-Sep-08 20:34:54

Loads of us June post natal thread mummies use a breathing sensor. Good for us paranoid types! www.nannymonitor.co.uk We swear by ours and as we've said even in the same room if a baby stopped breathing while you were asleep how would you know? (soz for morbid post but true right?)

starkadder Fri 19-Sep-08 17:00:07

Our cot is from IKEA and is smaller than most so might fit? Also v cheap, of course, since is from IKEA, but perfectly fine

hillbilly Fri 19-Sep-08 20:10:08

Both our DC moved from crib to travel cot within our bedroom when they were about 3m old. Like you we could not fit the cotbed into our room. It worked perfectly until we moved them into own room at around 6m.

VictorianSqualor Fri 19-Sep-08 20:18:43

Not being silly at all.
This is just general new baby paranoia though, yes?
When DS2 was born I went a bit doolally tat and was way too anxious over him dying, specifically of cot death.
Anxiety is perfectly normal, just be sure to realise if it gets too much and starts to cripple you.
I got to the point where I never slept because I was convinced that as soon as I slept he would die.

wb Fri 19-Sep-08 21:07:15

The risk of cot death is very, very small (esp. if you do the back to sleep, no smoking things) - however this didn't stop me being paranoid too - esp. w. ds1

I think you are justified in doing anything you can to lower your own stress levels, including buying a travel cot (which may come in useful for holidays etc anyway).

Norfolkbumpkin Sat 20-Sep-08 23:09:51

I would also vouch for a movement/breathing sensor monitor if you do want to move little one to another room. We were and still are paranoid parents although dd is now a year old, and think that the tommee tippee suresound crystal clear monitor is the best purchase we have made. From what I have read travel cots are not ideal for everyday use for sleeping as the mattresses aren't anywhere near as substantial and supportive as a regular cot/crib mattress. We have a small bedroom and dd slept in our room in a Ikea sniglar cot. We chose it because it was smaller than a regular size one, so would fit in what little room we had. It was only about £30 (not sure what they are now) and the matching ikea mattress was a bargain too.

cupcake76 Mon 22-Sep-08 16:39:16

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now