Talk

Advanced search

ds 2.4 terrified of any noise - is this normal?

(12 Posts)
Thepuddingchef Thu 18-Sep-08 09:45:58

Hi,
I've been putting off posting this as of course my pfb can't be completly off this planet, but I just can't seem to understand it anymore.
He cries hysterically over most noise, ie: hoover, beeping, coughing, blowing nose, hammering, food mixer etc.... even me pulling parcel tape to seal a box. This has been getting gradually worse over the last few months. I just can't reason with him. Other than that he is a happy very rough and tumble typical boy.
Am I being to bothered by it, do other children have this issue? Or is this something I should perhaps be taking more seriously?

Thepuddingchef Thu 18-Sep-08 11:17:13

Just my ds then.. smile

Boyswillbeboys Thu 18-Sep-08 11:28:48

My DS2 hates the loo flushing, hand dryers in public toilets, hairdryers - goes bonkers if I flush the loo before he is out the room. It probably started when he was about 3, he's nearly 5 now. It is getting slowly better. Probably just a phobia he will get over, but do you think it is actually causing him pain? I have never actually done anything about my DS other than just trying to reassure him it's ok.

Thepuddingchef Thu 18-Sep-08 11:35:57

He puts his hands over his ears while crying and hanging on to me very tightly, or if it's me making the noise, then he'll get into the nearest corner curl up with hands over ears crying saying noise noise. Not sure who i'd talk to about this - hv? Doc?

Mumi Thu 18-Sep-08 11:49:36

Aversion to loud sound can be a sign of autism. My DS (diagnosed at 5, now 7) copes better with hoovers and food mixers now as he expects them but still has trouble with hand dryers and motorbikes.

I doubt it's causing pain and if there are no other signs, it's likely to be just a a stage, but talk to your health visitors as they would/should certainly refer if necessary.

How old is your DS, Chef?

dilemma456 Thu 18-Sep-08 11:55:45

Message withdrawn

nooname Thu 18-Sep-08 11:59:02

Well my ds is this age and he is certainly very sensitive to noise. Any loud noise and he always says to me "noise mummy" and asks what it is.
If it's close then he will often cling to me.

So, although not as extreme as your ds it sounds like a similar stage but in differing intensities. I'd probably mention it to health visitor though if you're worried.

Thepuddingchef Thu 18-Sep-08 12:11:58

I might mention it to hv....maybe.....i'm non to keen on our hv.....a bit bolshy.

technics Thu 18-Sep-08 12:19:34

is there anything else at all that concerns you about your son's development?

My newphew has autism and an aversion to loud noises BUT this is in conjunction with other developmental issues. I imagine most children don't like loud noises.

It's a shame you don't get on with your health visitor - I don't particularly get on with mine (well just don't visit her at all!). How about your GP?

technics Thu 18-Sep-08 12:19:59

most young children I should say

Thepuddingchef Thu 18-Sep-08 12:49:36

his speech has been a bit delayed, but is progressing now, although he's still a bit behind, apart from that his sleep can be an issue, I think you call them night terrors?
Not sure if it's all related. Thats not every night though.

technics Sat 20-Sep-08 14:04:59

Hi Chef

I am definately no expert in any sense of the word but I have obviously spent a fair bit of time with my autistic newphew.

His speech was very delayed to the point where he didn't really talk at all at 2yo but suddenly really picked up and at 4 seems fairly 'normal' to me.

I would describe his autistic symptoms as little quirks more than actual delays. He LOVES a routine, started walking on tip toes (and still does), loves all forms of transport, especially Thomas the Tank Engine (but what boy doesn't!), is very tidy and everything must be put back in it's box just so, has a very actute sense of smell and will tell you if he smells something he doesn't like no matter how embarrassing this will be! I understand that senses being heightened is also a classic symptom.

He doesn't have night terrors as far as I know.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you need to look at the whole picture i.e. a delay in speech and night terrors, especially at this young age, will probably not tell you much, particularly if there is not much else that concerns you.

Hopefully somebody else will be along to add some expert advice? Or at least try a visit to the HV/GP?

HTH smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now