Talk

Advanced search

What exactly is 'instinctive'; parenting?

(2 Posts)
nickytwotimes Wed 17-Sep-08 19:13:38

Genuine question.
I hear this phrase a lot, but I don't really get it. Surely we are a product of our culture, blah, blah, etc?
Is it not just a fancy way of saying 'I do what I think is best?' because we all do that. We all find our own way surely?

Morloth Wed 17-Sep-08 20:29:44

I used this phrase in the other thread. For ME and I only presume to speak for myself. Instinctive Parenting is doing what seems like the natural thing. Baby is hungry? Feed him, doesn't matter what time it is, baby is sleepy/sleeping, let him sleep - if you don't have to move them then why bother? Baby needs a cuddle? cuddle them. YOU are a bit tired and need a break? Sort one out and take one. Kid is being a snot? Tell them off etc etc.

We are products of our culture for sure and I do think the problem with instinctive parenting is that in the last 100 years or so we seem to have lost a lot of our instincts.

It is a fancy way of saying "I do what I think is best" I guess, sorry haven't added much have I?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now