Talk

Advanced search

What part of the car is safest in a people carrier?

(9 Posts)
chloemegjess Tue 16-Sep-08 11:48:27

Hello. I know in normal cars the back is the safest. What about in a 7 seater? The back or the middle row? I have just got a Ford Glaxy 7 seater and will be using in for my 8 month old, new baby in april, a 4 year old and aa 1 year old and then any more extra if they come along (childminder).

Whats the safest way to arrange seats? Its most convient to put the 2 yougest in the back and the booster seats in the middle so I can remove them easily to fold the seats but I want to go with safety rather tha ease?

Gobbledigook Tue 16-Sep-08 11:49:32

I think they are just generally safer in the back - I don't know if there is a difference between middle and back row. I don't seat mine in any particular way middle vs back - just make sure they are in the back.

Gobbledigook Tue 16-Sep-08 11:50:31

I would probably put babies in middle row and older ones in back row though.

WendyWeber Tue 16-Sep-08 12:07:10

Middle row safest in a Galaxy. The back row is way too close to the rear.

chloemegjess Tue 16-Sep-08 13:18:44

Wendy - is the back row still ok to use though for children? I assume thats what its for? Maybe I should just put the older ones in the back and younger in the middle?

Is the very back row still safer than the front seat?

WendyWeber Tue 16-Sep-08 13:45:48

cmj, you have an 8 month-old and another due in April? Respect!

I think the newer ones are probably better than the original ones - & I only have a Zafira where the back seats are about as close to the tailgate, & lower as well grin but then my youngest is 15 & won't even go in the back row any more, DH has to cram himself in instead hmm

Does your car have an airbag on the front passenger seat? Only I would be most inclined to put the new baby there, in a rear-facing seat, with the passenger seat set as far back as possible (& airbag disabled if there is one) & the other 3 in the middle row, at least as long as you only have to seat 4. Putting the babies in the 3rd row would make them an awfully long way away from you...

chloemegjess Tue 16-Sep-08 18:59:28

Hi Wendy.

Yes I have an 8 month old and I am pregnant! I was on the mini pill AND brestfeeding so somewhat of a shock! Will be hard work but woth it hopefully!

I do have an airbag in the front, but I am sure I could get it disabled. I can't put anybody in the middle though (apart from DH!) as it only has a lap belt.

I am a bit wary of putting a baby in the front as I don't think it is that safe? But not too sure though as that's what I aim to find out before the next one comes along!!

Thanks for the help

WendyWeber Tue 16-Sep-08 21:53:16

You were obviously meant to have this baby then, cmj grin

When they first introduced the rear-facing seats they always went in the front, but that was before airbags. (Before that babies went across the back seat in a carrycot. shock)

To me that's still the best place for them, because you are right there & they can feel secure & content & not have to whinge because all they can see is the back of the back seat grin - so if you can easily disable the airbag I would do that & then you will have 9 months (?) breathing space.

As far as the lap belt is concerned I think there are still seats for older children with integral 5-point harnesses which are designed to be anchored with a lap belt (???) (Lap belts are actually better anchors than retracting shoulder belts, as long as the buckle is well clear of the seat frame, because once tightened they won't move.)

It is complicated!

chloemegjess Wed 17-Sep-08 18:14:31

Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now